Lizardfolk are proud and powerful reptilian predators that make their communal homes in scattered villages deep within swamps and marshes. Uninterested in colonization of the dry lands and content with the simple weapons and rituals that have served them well for millennia, lizardfolk are viewed by many other races as backwater savages, but within their isolated communities lizardfolk are actually a vibrant people filled with tradition and an oral history stretching back to before humans walked upright.
Most lizardfolk stand 6 to 7 feet tall and weigh 200 to 250 pounds, their powerful muscles covered in scales of gray, green, or brown. Some breeds have short dorsal spikes or brightly colored frills, and all swim well by moving with flicks of their powerful 4-foot-long tails. While completely at home in the water, they breathe air and return to their clustered mound-dwellings to breed and sleep. As their reptilian blood makes them sluggish in the cold, most lizardfolk hunt and work during the day and retreat to their homes at night to curl up with other tribesmen in the shared warmth of large peat fires.
Though generally neutral, lizardfolks’ standoffish demeanor, staunch rejection of civilization’s “gifts,” and legendary ferocity in battle cause them to be viewed negatively by most humanoids. These traits stem from good reasons, however, as their own slow rate of reproduction is no match for warm-blooded humanoids, and those tribes who don’t defend their wetland territories to the last breath quickly find themselves overwhelmed by the mammalian hordes. As for their tendency to consume the bodies of dead friends and enemies alike, the practical lizardfolk are quick to point out that life is hard in the swamp, and nothing should go to waste.
The lizardfolk presented here dwell in a swampy environment. Lizardfolk tribes can exist in other environments as well, but they lose their swim speed and instead gain a climb speed of 15 feet.
- Ability Score Modifiers: Flexible (+2 Str, +2 Con) (2 RP)
- Type: Humanoid (reptilian) (0 RP)
- Size: Medium (0 RP)
- Base Speed: Normal (0 RP)
- Languages: Xenophobic (0 RP) Lizardfolk start knowing their racial language only.
- Natural Armor: Lizardfolk have tough scaly skin, granting them a +1 natural armor bonus. (2 RP)
Movement Racial Traits
- Swim: Lizardfolk have a swim speed of 30 feet and thus gain a +8 racial bonus on Swim checks (1 RP)
- Natural Attacks: Bite 1 (RP) Lizardfolk gain a natural bite attack, dealing damage equivalent to that of a creature two size categories lower than normal for their size (1d2 for Small races, 1d3 for Medium, etc.). The bite is a primary attack, or a secondary attack if the creature is wielding manufactured weapons.
- Natural Attacks: Claws 2 (RP) Lizardfolk receive two claw attacks. These are primary natural attacks. The damage is based on the creature’s size (1d4 for Medium creatures.)
The following favored class options are available to all characters of this race who have the listed favored class, and unless otherwise stated, the bonus applies each time you select the favored class reward.
- Aegis: Add +1 to the aegis’s CMD when resisting a sunder or trip.[JBE:BoHR:AFCO]
- Alchemist: Add +1/6 damage to the alchemist’s bite and claw attacks while under the effects of a feral mutagen.[JBE:BoHR:AFCO]
- Antipaladin: Add a +1/3 circumstance bonus on critical hit confirmation rolls while using smite good (maximum bonus +5). This bonus does not stack with Critical Focus.[JBE:BoHR:AFCO]
- Arcanist: Add +1/3 to the DC to one of the arcanist’s exploits.[JBE:BoHR:AFCO]
- Barbarian: Add +1/6 damage to the barbarian’s bite and claw attacks when using the animal fury rage power.[JBE:BoHR:AFCO]
- Bard: Reduce the penalty for not being proficient with one weapon by 1. When the nonproficiency penalty for a weapon becomes 0 because of this ability, the bard is treated as having the appropriate Martial or Exotic Weapon Proficiency feat for that weapon.[JBE:BoHR:AFCO]
- Bloodrager: Add +1/2 round of bloodrage per day.[JBE:BoHR:AFCO]
- Brawler: Add +1/2 to the brawler’s CMB when making a trip attempt.[JBE:BoHR:AFCO]
- Cavalier: Add a +1/2 bonus to Acrobatics and Intimidate checks.[JBE:BoHR:AFCO]
- Cleric: Add a +1/2 bonus on caster level checks to overcome the spell resistance of dragons or creatures with the aquatic or reptilian subtypes.[JBE:BoHR:AFCO]
- Cryptic: Add +1 to the cryptic’s saving throws and AC against traps.[JBE:BoHR:AFCO]
- Dread: Add +1/3 to weapon damage when channeling a terror through a weapon attack.[JBE:BoHR:AFCO]
- Druid: Add a +1/2 bonus on Knowledge (nature) and Survival checks in swamps or aquatic environments.[JBE:BoHR:AFCO]
- Fighter: Add a +1/4 bonus to Will saves fear effects created by creatures of the dragon type or aquatic subtype.[JBE:BoHR:AFCO]
- Gunslinger: Add a +1/3 bonus on attack rolls when using the pistol whip deed.[JBE:BoHR:AFCO]
- Hunter: Choose one ranged weapon. Add +1 foot to the range increment of that weapon. This option has no effect unless the hunter has selected it 5 times (or another increment of 5); a range increment of 24 feet is effectively the same as a range increment of 20 feet, for example.[JBE:BoHR:AFCO]
- Inquisitor: Add +1/6 to the damage bonus granted by the destruction judgment.[JBE:BoHR:AFCO]
- Investigator: Add +1/4 rounds to the duration of the insight bonus granted by studied combat.[JBE:BoHR:AFCO]
- Magus: Add +1/5 of a new magic weapon property that can be added to the magus’s weapon by expending points from his arcane pool. These must be chosen from the following list: corrosive, corrosive burst, countering UE, furyborn UE, wounding.[JBE:BoHR:AFCO]
- Marksman: Add +1/4 to the dodge bonus to armor class granted by the evade arrows ability.[JBE:BoHR:AFCO]
- Monk: Add +1/2 to Acrobatics checks to cross narrow surfaces and to Escape Artist checks.[JBE:BoHR:AFCO]
- Ninja: Add +1/4 point to the ninja’s ki pool.[JBE:BoHR:AFCO]
- Oracle: Reduce the penalty for not being proficient with one weapon by 1. When the nonproficiency penalty for a weapon becomes 0 because of this ability, the oracle is treated as having the appropriate Martial or Exotic Weapon Proficiency feat with that weapon.[JBE:BoHR:AFCO]
- Paladin: Add a +1/3 circumstance bonus on critical hit confirmation rolls while using smite evil (maximum bonus +5). This bonus does not stack with Critical Focus.[JBE:BoHR:AFCO]
- Psion: Reduce the cost to augment a psion power with the acid descriptor or that deals acid damage by 1/3 power points. The psion must take this 3 times before the cost is reduced by 1.
- Psychic Warrior: Add +1/3 to the psychic warrior’s manifester level when manifesting powers that grant a bonus to CMB or CMD.[JBE:BoHR:AFCO]
- Ranger: Add +1/4 to a single existing humanoid favored enemy bonus (maximum bonus +1 per favored enemy). Rogue: Add +1/2 to sneak attack damage dealt to creatures with the humanoid type. [JBE:BoHR:AFCO]
- Samurai: Add +1/6 of an extra roll to the samurai’s resolute ability when using resolve (maximum 1 extra roll, allowing the samurai to roll three times on a Fort or Will save and take the best result).[JBE:BoHR:AFCO]
- Shaman: Add +5 feet to the range of one hex with a range other than “touch.”[JBE:BoHR:AFCO]
- Skald: Add one spell from the bard spell list to the skald’s list of spells known. This spell must be at least one level below the highest spell level he can cast.[JBE:BoHR:AFCO]
- Slayer: The slayer gains +1/6 of a new slayer talent. [JBE:BoHR:AFCO]
- Sorcerer: Add +1/2 point of acid damage to sorcerer spells cast that deal acid damage.[JBE:BoHR:AFCO]
- Soulknife: Add +1/2 to the soulknife’s psychic strike damage.[JBE:BoHR:AFCO]
- Summoner: Monsters summoned by the summon monster ability gain a +1/6 natural armor bonus to their armor class.[JBE:BoHR:AFCO]
- Swashbuckler: Add +1/4 to the swashbuckler’s damage rolls on riposte attacks after a successful parry.[JBE:BoHR:AFCO]
- Tactician: Add +1/6 to the competence bonus to attack rolls granted to an ally when using the directed assault strategy.[JBE:BoHR:AFCO]
- Time Thief: Add +1/6 of an additional d4 to one damage roll when you spend a mote to boost damage. (+1d4 for every six times you select this option.)[JBE:BoHR:AFCO]
- Vitalist: Add +1/2 additional daily use of transfer wounds.[JBE:BoHR:AFCO]
- Warpriest: Add +1/3 to the warpriest’s effective level for the purposes of determining his sacred weapon damage.[JBE:BoHR:AFCO]
- Wilder: Add +1/4 to the damage dealt by the wilder’s surge blast.[JBE:BoHR:AFCO]
- Witch: The witch gains 1/6 of a new witch hex.[JBE:BoHR:AFCO]
- Wizard: Add a +1 bonus on concentration checks made due to taking damage while casting wizard spells. [JBE:BoHR:AFCO]
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Advanced Race Guide © 2012, Paizo Publishing, LLC; Authors: Dennis Baker, Jesse Benner, Benjamin Bruck, Jason Bulmahn, Adam Daigle, Jim Groves, Tim Hitchcock, Hal MacLean, Jason Nelson, Stephen Radney-MacFarland, Owen K.C. Stephens, Todd Stewart, and Russ Taylor.
Book of Heroic Races: Advanced Favored Class Options. © 2014, Jon Brazer Enterprises