A grindylow looks like a widemouthed goblin from the waist up and a writhing, slimy octopus from the waist down. They have deep-green skin, gray or green tentacles, and mouths full of sharp teeth. Grindylows prefer to attack in packs, making them more dangerous than they appear individually.
Like goblins, grindylows have a tendency to act first and think later, which might result in a grindylow getting lost or separated from its tribe. Although most grindylows simply continue their agenda of trickery and murder when left alone, exceptional grindylows might decide to pursue some greater goal and take up the life of an adventurer.
Racial Traits (22 RP)
Player character grindylows have the following racial traits.
- Ability Scores: +4 Dexterity, –2 Intelligence, –2 Wisdom, –2 Charisma: Grindylows are cruel, ignorant, and thoughtless, but they have a startling inherent agility.
- Size: Grindylows are Small creatures. They gain a +1 size bonus to AC, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –1 penalty on combat maneuver checks and to their CMD, and a +4 size bonus on Stealth checks.
- Type: Grindylows are aberrations with the aquatic subtype.
- Amphibious: Grindylows have the aquatic subtype, but they can breathe both water and air.
- Languages: Grindylows begin play speaking Aquan. Grindylows with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Aklo, Common, and Goblin.
Movement & Movement Abilities
- Slow Speed: Grindylows can scuttle about on land with their tentacles and have a base speed of 15 feet.
- Swim Speed: Grindylows have a swim speed of 30 feet.
- Jet (1 RP): Grindylows can swim 200 feet backward as a full-round action. A grindylow must move in a straight line when jetting and does not provoke attacks of opportunity when using this ability.
- Darkvision: Grindylows have darkvision with a range of 60 feet.
- Defensive Abilities
- Natural Armor: Grindylows have tough, rubbery skin that grants a +2 natural armor bonus.
- Bite: Grindylows have a natural bite attack that deals 1d3 points of damage. This bite is a primary attack, or a secondary attack if the creature is wielding manufactured weapons.
- Tangling Tentacles (4 RP): Grindylows have constantly writhing tentacles that reach out to tug at and trip adjacent foes. During the grindylow’s turn, it can make a single trip attack against any adjacent foe as a swift action. The grindylow gains a +4 racial bonus on trip attacks with its tangling tentacles, and if it fails to trip a foe, that creature can’t attempt to trip the grindylow in retaliation.
Pathfinder Player Companion: Blood of the Sea © 2017, Paizo Inc.; Author: Amber E. Scott.