Robed in silk and its own regal wings, this humanoid assays its surroundings with the lethal detachment of the owl it resembles.
From lofty monastery-cities entrenched in soaring cliff sides and high mountain valleys, the syrinx seek to bring peace to all lands that fall within sight of their marbled spires. Erudite and aloof, the owl-like scholars embrace art, philosophy, and nebulous faiths, seeking to distance themselves from a history of barbarism and ruin. To this end, they seek to enslave all lesser races, especially those without wings. Their elitist culture rests upon thousands of backs in an elaborate hierarchy of slaves. Directly below the syrinx are the strix, a race they magically modified in the distant past to serve as warriors and slave masters.
Syrinx are defined by their class levels, and do not possess racial Hit Dice. Syrinx have the following racial traits.
- Ability Score Modifiers: Syrinx are contemplative and patient, traits that make them somewhat slow to act. As a result, syrinx gain a +2 bonus to Wisdom but suffer a –2 penalty to Dexterity.
- Speed: Syrinx have a base speed of 30 feet.
- Flight: Syrinx have a fly speed of 60 feet with average maneuverability.
- Languages: Syrinx begin play speaking Syrinx. Syrinx with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Auran, Celestial, Strix, or Infernal. See the Linguistics skill page for more information about these languages.
- Pride (2 RP): Syrinx receive a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against mind-affecting effects.
- Nocturnal: Syrinx gain a +2 racial bonus on Perception and Stealth checks at night.
- Speak with Avians (0 RP): Syrinx can speak with all birds of the animal creature type and birdlike magical beasts (like phoenixes and thunderbirds).
- Low-Light Vision: Syrinx can see twice as far as humans in conditions of dim light.
- Darkvision: Syrinx have darkvision and so can see perfectly in the dark up to 60 feet.
- Oppressive: Syrinxes often have a natural talent for sensing how to unsettle and oppress other creatures. As a swift action, a syrinx can attempt a Sense Motive check against a DC of 10 + a creature’s Hit Dice + its Charisma modifier or a DC of 10 + the creature’s Bluff modifier, whichever is higher. On a success, syrinx gains a +4 racial bonus on Intimidate checks against that target and a +1 racial bonus to the DC of any fear effects she uses against that target. This racial trait replaces nocturnal and pride. Source PZO9280
Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Inner Sea Bestiary © 2012, Paizo Publishing, LLC; Authors: Jim Groves, James Jacobs, Rob McCreary, Erik Mona, Jason Nelson, Patrick Renie, F. Wesley Schneider, James L. Sutter, Russ Taylor, and Greg A. Vaughan.