Dwarrow are the children of dwarves and gnomes. With a good eye for gems, and a proud heritage, this race stands out from other half-breeds because of its integration into dwarven and gnomish societies. While it can be hard to spot the differences between the three races at a glance, standing them beside each other makes it quite apparent.
Dwarrow are stockier than gnomes and shorter than dwarves, with a blend of features from both. Characterized by large noses, ears, and bellies, they don’t often grow full beards, but may sport long mustaches or goatees.
Society: Dwarrow share the whimsical nature of their gnomish parents, preferring adventure to settling down in large groups. When they do congregate, it is often to trade rare gems or tips for extracting precious minerals from difficult placesDalit society is a matriarchy wherein the queen of the hive births the children until she dies and is consumed by her successor. The males and non-queen females act as drones who leave their home in search of refuse to consume and turn into energy for the rest of their kin upon return. Some races have recently taken to adapting the energy created by dalits into small power sources and spell components. A single dalit would take its entire lifespan to create enough energy on its own to sell or otherwise take advantage of.
Relations: Dwarrow enjoy projects. When given a task, be it finding a rare item or solving a complicated riddle, dwarrow are at their best. Their personalities are the best of both dwarves and gnomes, and they get along with most races by treating any troubles with them as a new challenge.
Alignment and Religion: A dwarrow’s religious beliefs lie closely tied to their lineage. They often worship gods of earth and stone, in the same manner as dwarves. Most dwarrow are neutral good, like gnomes before them.
Adventurers: Adventuring dwarrow tend toward scouting and problem solving, which makes them great bards, rogues, and wizards. Dwarrow clerics teach the value of the earth and the wonders it can create.
Names: Dwarrow females prefer names that show off their love of gems, such as Diamond, Garnet, or Jade. Males prefer work-based names like Brick, Mason, Rock, or Smith.
|40 years||+3d6 years
(43 – 58 years)
(45 – 70 years)
(48 – 88 years)
1 This category includes barbarians, oracles, rogues, and sorcerers.
2 This category includes bards, cavaliers, fighters, gunslingers, paladins, rangers, summoners, trainers, and witches.
3 This category includes alchemists, clerics, druids, inquisitors, magi, monks, and wizards.
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||3 ft. 4 in.||+2d4 in.||92 lbs.||+(2d4×4 lbs.)|
|Female||3 ft. 1 in.||+2d4 in.||75 lbs.||+(2d4×4 lbs.)|
Dwarrow usually have the following racial traits.
- Ability Score Modifiers: Dwarrow inherit their dwarven traits, while their gnomish enthusiasm is curbed by insight. They gain +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom.
- Type: Dwarrow are humanoids with the dwarf and gnome subtype.
- Small: Dwarrow are Small creatures gain a +1 size bonus to their AC, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –1 penalty to their CMB and CMD, and a +4 size bonus on Stealth checks.
- Base Speed: (Slow and Steady) Dwarrow have a base speed of 20 feet, but their speed is never modified by armor or encumbrance.
- Languages: Dwarrow begin play speaking Common, Dwarven, and Gnome. Dwarrow with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Abyssal, Draconic, Giant, Gnoll, Goblin, and Orc.
Defense Racial Traits
- Irrepressible: Dwarrow gain a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison and illusion spells and effects.
- Stable: Dwarrow gain a +2 racial bonus to their Combat Maneuver Defense when resisting a bull rush or trip attempt while standing on the ground.
Magical Racial Traits
- Stonespeaker (Sp): Dwarrow with Charisma scores of 11 or higher also gain the following spell-like abilities: 1/day—know direction, locate object (gems only), mending, and pet rock. The caster level for these effects is equal to the dwarrow’s level. The DC for these spells is equal to 10 + the spell’s level + the dwarrow’s Charisma modifier.
Senses Racial Traits
- Darkvision: Dwarrow have darkvision 60 ft. (they can see perfectly in the dark up to 60 feet.)
Dwarrow can select any dwarf or gnome alternate racial traits that replace darkvision or defensive training, and stonespeaker counts as gnome magic for the purpose of selecting alternate racial traits. In addition, dwarrow can select the following racial traits.
- Greed: Some dwarrow receive a +2 racial bonus on Appraise skill checks made to determine the price of nonmagical goods that contain precious metals or gemstones. This racial trait replaces defensive training.
- Recessive Obsessive: Dwarrow who inherit their gnomish eyesight and penchant for work gain low-light vision and a +2 racial bonus on a Craft or Profession skill of their choice. This racial trait replaces darkvision.
The following favored class options are available to all characters of this race who have the listed favored class, and unless otherwise stated, the bonus applies each time you select the favored class reward.
- Bard: Add a +1/2 bonus to Appraise and Use Magic Device checks. The bard is considered trained in those skills.
- Cleric: Add a +1/2 bonus on checks to craft magic items.
- Dúlra: The dúlra gains energy resistance 1 against acid, cold, electricity, or fire. Each time she selects this reward, increase her resistance to one of these energy types by 1 (maximum 10 for any one type).
- Heir Apparent: Add a +1/2 bonus on Diplomacy checks made to influence dwarves and gnomes. At +5, the heir can take 10 when using influential in a dwarf or gnome community.
- Investigator: Add a +1/4 bonus on all inspiration rolls.
- Occultist: Add +1/3 point of mental focus.
- Rogue: Add a +1/2 bonus to Appraise and Use Magic Device checks. The rogue is considered trained in those skills.
- Skald: Add one spell from the skald’s spell list to the skald’s known spells. This spell must be at least 1 spell level below the highest level the skald’s can cast.
- Swashbuckler: Add +1/6 to the swashbuckler’s nimble bonus.
- Wizard: Add +1/4 to the wizard’s caster level when casting spells of the illusion school.
The following racial archetype is available to dwarrow:
The following feats are available to a dwarrow character who meets the prerequisites.
The Book of Many Things, © 2018,Samurai Sheepdog; author Kevin Glusing.