The arctic fox-kin, naali are a rarely seen kitsune subrace that lives in arctic regions.
They thrive where the presence of their fox-kin (arctic foxes), which are favored as familiars, suits them quite well. They avoid most settlements in favor of vast, wild expanses of open land.
Naali have a similar build and lifespan to kitsune.
Like the arctic fox, their coats are grayish-brown in the summer and white in the winter, with some sporting the rarer “blue” coat (a steely bluish-gray in the winter and a paler bluish-gray in summer).
Standard Racial Traits
- Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom, –2 Strength: Naali are agile and wise, but tend to be physically weak.
- Type Naali are considered humanoid with the kitsune and shapechanger subtypes.
- Size Naali are Medium sized.
- Speed Naali have a speed of 30 feet.
- Senses Naali have low-light vision.
- Languages: Naali begin play speaking Common and Foxspeech. Naali with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Aquan, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, and any local human languages.
Other Racial Traits
- Natural Weapons (Ex) racial trait.
Fox Shape (Su)
Naali have lost their ability to assume human form in favor of their fox form, which is better adapted for survival in harsher northern environments. This trait functions exactly like the kitsune feat Fox Shape with the exception that naali take the form of the arctic fox.
Naali are skilled jumpers. This ability gives them two distinct advantages. The first is that they are always considered to have a running start when making Acrobatics checks to jump.
Acute Senses (Ex)
Naali gain a +4 bonus to Perception checks based on hearing/sound within 30 feet. Additionally, they can hear ultrasonic sounds normally only audible to canines, such as dog whistles.
Cold Acclimation (Ex)
Naali suffer no harm from being in a cold environment. They can exist comfortably in conditions as cold as –60 degrees Fahrenheit without having to make Fortitude saves, but suffer from hot environments above 80 degrees Fahrenheit.
Alternate Racial Traits
Naali Magic (Ex/Sp): Naali add +1 to the DC of any saving throws against pattern spells that they cast.
Naali with a Charisma score of 11 or higher gain the following spell-like ability: 3/day—aurora borealis (strange, shifting curtains of colored light, akin to an aurora borealis, manifest in the sky but are visible only to those in an area equal to 15 feet in radius from the focal point of the spell. Every creature within 5 feet of the focal point is affected as if they were under the effect of a faerie fire spell. The colors persist for 1 round per CL. This spell is an evocation [light] effect). This trait replaces Cold Acclimation.
Fast Shifter (Su)
See racial ability. This racial trait replaces jumper.
Favored Class Options
- Druid: Add a +1/2 bonus on Diplomacy and Intimidate checks to change a creature’s attitude.
- Hunter: Increase the natural armor bonus of the hunter’s animal companion by +1/4. If the hunter replaces her animal companion, the new companion gains this natural armor increase.
- Ranger: Add a +1/2 bonus on Perception and Survival checks made in cold terrain type.
- Shaman: The shaman gains 1/6 of a new shaman hex. This hex must be one granted by the shaman’s spirit rather than one from a wandering spirit.
- Oracle: Add +1/2 to the oracle’s level for the purpose of determining the effects of one revelation.
- Witch: Add +5 feet to the range of one hex with a range other than “touch.”
New Racial Rules
Wayfinder #17. © 2017, Paizo Fans United; Authors: Gabriel Almer, Beth Breitmaier, Dave Breitmaier, Charlie Brooks, Russ Brown, Ben Chason-Sokol, Jeremy Clements, Dixon Cohee, Matt Duval, Robert Feather, Benjamin Fields, Wojciech Grucha?a, Garrett Guillotte, Joe Kondrak, John Laffan, Isabelle Lee, Jeff Lee, Crystal Malarsky, Ben Martin, Jacob McKiernan, Jen McTeague, Jacob W. Michaels, Emily Parks, Rep Pickard, Matt Roth, André Roy, Elliot Smith, Joe Smith, ‘Piratey Steve’ Smith, Neil Spicer, Todd Stewart, John Paul Stoddard, Andrew P. Sturtevant, Margherita Tramontano, Nicholas Wasko, Kerney Williams, and Scott Young.