The stout and abrupt ursines go by many names, but few of them are insults, for the ursines are both honorable and incredibly strong (and intimidating). Sometimes known as bearfolk or mountainwalkers, ursine are bear-like humanoids with a thick coat of fur, clawed paws on their hands and feet, angular ears near the top of the head, and a massive bear’s mouth. Not easily hurt, the ursines are a very honor-driven race, and do not tolerate deep and sincere slights, or outright disrespect—this lasting perception of them is most often perpetuated only by those who are guilty of disrespecting members of this wise and peaceful race.
Male Names: Ambrose, Aridon, Aslon, Brutus, Cadin, Fabron, Geslotto, Lobron, Mendon, Neibrose, Radavon, Sedrose, Stavian, Tadalon, Venbrin.
Female Names Arimel, Azliona, Baluis, Belladonna, Casalia, Crotia, Evara, Hathus, Ioldibara, Kerislin, Lanna, Meridose, Moslin, Oardi, Osra, Seluis, Strama, Tola, Uresses, Zathia.
Clan Names Brook Stone, Cicada Bloom Shower, Elm Feather, Grass Seed, Moon Halo, Oak Wing, Pine Claw, Snow Horizon, Star Sky, Wheat Path.
- Ability Score Modifiers: Ursines are strong and perceptive, but not very agile. They gain +2 Strength, +2 Wisdom, and –2 Dexterity.
- Size: Ursines are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Type: Ursine are humanoids with the ursine subtype.
- Base Speed Ursines have a base speed of 30 feet, and are never hampered by difficult terrain in mountainous regions, or by natural formations made of stone or earth (magically altered terrain still affects them).
- Languages Ursines begin play speaking Common, and Ursine. Ursines with high Intelligence scores can speak Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Gnome, Orc, or Sylvan.
- Solid Form Ursines receive a +2 racial bonus to saves vs. polymorph spells or effects, against diseases, and against ingested or inhaled poisons (but not against magical diseases or poisons).
- Sturdy: Ursines gain a +2 racial bonus to CMD vs. bull rush, overrun, and trip attempts made against them while standing on the ground.
- Low-Light Vision: Ursines can see twice as far as humans in conditions of dim light.
- Hatred Ursines receive a +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against aberrations, and against humanoid creatures of the giant subtype, due to special training against these hated foes.
- Potent Caster: Ursine spellcasters gain a +1 racial bonus to all caster level checks made to overcome spell resistance.
- Stalwart Ursines can wield light and one-handed melee weapons, as well as short bows and light crossbows made for Large size creatures without penalties, and they are treated as Large size creatures against Medium or Small opponents who attempt combat maneuvers against them, gaining a +1 size bonus to CMD versus these creatures. As a swift action on their turn, they can designate a single opponent within 20 feet; they gain a temporary +1 size bonus to CMB when attempting a combat maneuver against this enemy, which lasts until the ursine’s next turn, when they may designate a new opponent for use with this ability. Ursines wielding weapons appropriate for Medium-sized creatures do not take any penalty while using them, and they do not wield them with less hands than normal; they wield Large one-handed weapons with two hands, and treat Large light crossbows as heavy crossbows for the purpose of actions used to reload. Other light or hand-held ranged weapons appropriately sized for Large creatures may also be appropriate, at the GM’s discretion.
- Weapon Familiarity: Ursines are proficient with the lucerne hammer.
The following alternate racial traits may be selected in place of one or more of the standard racial traits above. Consult your GM before selecting any of these new options.
- Natural Attacks: The ursine gains a bite and two claw natural melee attacks. The bite deals 1d4 damage and the claws each deal 1d3 damage on a successful hit. These are primary attacks, or secondary attacks if wielding any manufactured weapon. This ability replaces the stalwart and weapon familiarity racial traits.
- Smeller The ursine gains the scent ability with half the normal range. This replaces low-light vision.
- Nature Ties The ursine gains a +2 racial bonus to Handle Animal checks made to influence bears, raccoons, and wolverines. This ability replaces solid form.
- War Ties You are an expert laborer in wartime, a flexible weapons user, and a capable combatant at close range. Choose one opponent during combat within close range (25 feet plus 5 feet per class level), and receive a +1 racial bonus to attack and damage rolls against that creature for 3 rounds, usable once per day. Choose any two martial or exotic weapons (light, one-handed, two-handed, or ranged)—you are proficient with these weapons. Additionally, you gain a +2 racial bonus to any one Craft and one Profession skill for a specialty useful during wartime (Crafts such as armor, ships, and leather, and Professions such as cook, medic, and messenger work well, but basket-weaving or jewelry Crafts, and dancer or florist Professions do not); you always treat one of these skills as a class skill (choose one). This ability replaces the hatred, potent caster, and weapon familiarity racial traits.
The following favored class options are available to all characters of this race who have the listed favored class, and unless otherwise stated, the bonus applies each time you select the favored class reward.
- Alchemist Add +10 minutes to the duration of the alchemist’s mutagens.
- Barbarian While using the Intimidate skill to demoralize a foe, add +1/3 to the number of rounds a successfully demoralized foe is shaken.
- Bard Choose one versatile performance. The bard adds a +1/2 bonus to the Perform skill linked to that versatile performance.
- Cavalier Add +1 to the cavalier’s CMB when making grapple or reposition combat maneuvers against a challenged target.
- Cleric When casting cleric spells of the transmutation school, add +1/3 to the effective caster level of the spell, but only to determine the spell’s duration.
- Druid Add +1 hit point to the druid’s animal companion. If the druid ever replaces her companion, the new companion gains these bonus hit points.
- Fighter Add +2 to the fighter’s Constitution score for the purpose of determining when he dies from negative hit points.
- Inquisitor: Add +1/2 bonus to all monster lore checks.
- Magus Add a +1 bonus on concentration checks when casting magus spells defensively.
- Monk: Add a +1/6 bonus to the DC of a Stunning Fist attempt.
- Oracle Add +1/2 to the oracle’s level for the purposes of determining the effects of the oracle’s curse ability.
- Paladin The paladin adds +1/6 to the number of times per day she can smite evil.
- Psion: Add a +1/2 bonus on Knowledge (psionics) checks.
- Psychic Warrior: Add +2 to the psychic warrior’s Constitution score for the purpose of determining when he dies from negative hit points.
- Ranger Choose one weapon with which you are proficient. Add a +1/2 circumstance bonus on critical hit confirmation rolls with that weapon (maximum bonus of +4; doesn’t stack with the Critical Focus feat).
- Rogue Add +1/3 to damage rolls to the rogue’s sneak attack damage.
- Sorcerer Add one spell known from the Animal domain spell list. This spell must be at least one level below the highest spell level the sorcerer can cast.
- Soulknife: Add +1/2 to the soulknife’s psychic strike damage.
- Summoner: Add +1/4 to the eidolon’s natural armor bonus (maximum +5).
- Wilder When using wild surge, the wilder increases her manifester level by +1/6.
- Witch Add one spell from the druid’s spell list to the witch’s familiar. This spell must be at least one level below the highest spell level she can cast. If the witch ever replaces her familiar, the new familiar knows these bonus spells.
- Wizard Choose one Knowledge skill. The wizard adds a +1/2 bonus on checks to that skill.
The following racial archetype is available to ursines:
Ursine have access to the following feats.
|15 years||+1d4 years
(16 – 19 years)
(16 – 21 years)
(17 – 27 years)
1 This category includes barbarians, oracles, rogues, and sorcerers.
2 This category includes bards, cavaliers, fighters, gunslingers, paladins, rangers, summoners, and witches.
3 This category includes alchemists, clerics, druids, inquisitors, magi, monks, and wizards.
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||5 ft. 8 in.||+2d12 in.
(3 ft. 11 in. – 4 ft. 5 in.)
|155 lbs.||+(2d12×6 lbs.)
(164 – 262 lbs.)
|Female||5 ft. 6 in.||+2d12 in.
(3 ft. 9 in. – 4 ft. 3 in.)
|145 lbs.||+(2d12×6 lbs.)
(134 – 232 lbs.)
Book of Heroic Races Compendium © 2014, Jon Brazer Enterprises