Usagimimi trace their ancestry to hare-spirits that inhabited mortal vessels and lived among the humans, passing traces of their yokai heritage further. Hare-spirits are industrious but reckless beings and their children are known for their flair for trades of all sorts. Usagimimi respect entrepreneurs of all sorts, both honest workers, and the more shady ones, as long as they are willing to actually work for their success or at least take an effort to maintain what they have. Merely inheriting wealth is not a reason to be proud in usagimimi view, and taking the risk to expand it and wasting it is better than lazily spending it away, though more moderate development of existing wealth is the most commendable path.
Usagimimi personal behavior is a mixture of skittishness and boisterousness, so they might be sometimes viewed as buffoons when among other people, prone to exaggerate both their successes and failures. In the same vein, they seem to veer between recklessness and fear of taking risks.
Physical Description: Usagimimi are human-looking except for their hare-like ears and a very short and rarely visible tail. Their bodies are slender and of relative short height but they tend to appear much taller thanks to their long ears growing from the top of their heads, though some of them have floppy ears on the sides of their heads instead. They usually have brown or tan hair, with a paler skin colors, though some have both hair and skin in varying proportions of black and white. The rarest are almost completely black with a small smudge of white or vice versa.
Society: The family is at the core of the usagimimi society, source of the strongest and most important relations, and society is viewed as a collection of families cooperating for shared safety and profit. At the same time, individuality within the family is strongly encouraged, for usagimimi believe that creativity of an individual is vital component of family strength. Land and other valuable assets are always owned by family as a whole, with individual family members being merely granted tenancy over the asset without the ability to transfer the ownership unless approved by other family members.
Relations: The more industrious races, such as humans and dwarves usually work fine with usagimimi, once they get accustomed to hare kemonomimi bouts of shyness and bragging. They are more than happy to exchange wares and services with most of the civilized races. They might mock elves for their perceived laziness but they also adore their craftsmanship, while elves might be easily dismissed usagimimi’s impatience and recklessness.
Alignment And Religion: Family and enterprise are core values for usagimimi, selfishness and miserliness are frowned upon, though extended family-centered selfishness and a moderate level of frugality is common and acceptable. Usagimimi are rarely cruel, though many are greedy. Neutral is the most widespread alignment with chaotic being slightly more common than lawful, for flexibility is viewed as more important for good enterprise than tradition.
Adventurers: Usagimimi make either great adventurers or terrible ones, depending on the individual balance of shyness and flashiness. While commonly believed to become adventurers for profit, many usagimimi selecting this path are those who failed to find themselves a trade they would be comfortable with. The former are often rogues and bards while the later pick more martially oriented classes, such as fighters and monks.
Standard Racial Traits
- Ability Scores: Usagimimi have quick reflexes and intuition. They gain a +2 bonus to Dexterity and Wisdom.
- Type: Usagimimi are humanoids with kemonomimi subtype.
- Size: Usagimimi are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Speed: Usagimimi have a base speed of 30 feet.
- Languages: Kemonomimi begin play speaking Common and Sylvan. Kemonomimi with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following languages: Catfolk, Celestial, Giant, Goblin, Tengu, and Vanara.
- Low-Light Vision: In dim light, usagimimi see twice as far as humans.
Feat & Skill Racial Traits
- Racial Bonuses: Usagimimi gain a +2 racial bonus to Craft and Profession checks. They are industrious artisans and tradesmen.
- Hare Affinity: Usagimimi gain a +4 racial bonus to Handle Animal and wild empathy checks made to interact with Small or smaller herbivores and hare-like creatures. All kemonomimi have an affinity for their animal kin.
- Creative Craftsmanship: Usagimimi gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls and skill rolls with weapons, tools, and vehicles they crafted, add a +1 bonus to caster level when using scrolls and potions they created, and reduce armor check penalty while wearing armor they made by 1. Additionally, they increase income earned with Perform and Profession skills by 10%.
Kemonomimi: Moe Races © 2016, Amora Game; Authors: Wojciech Gruchała, Greg LaRose