Aura strong varied; CL 13th; Slot head; Price 125,000 gp; Weight 3 lbs.
This normal-looking helm takes its true form and manifests its powers when the user dons it and speaks the command word. Made of brilliant silver and polished steel, a newly created helm is set with large magic gems: 10 diamonds, 20 rubies, 30 fire opals, and 40 opals. When struck by bright light, the helm scintillates and sends forth reflective rays in all directions from its crown-like, gem-tipped spikes. The jewels’ functions are as follows:
- Diamond: Prismatic spray (save DC 20)
- Ruby: Wall of fire
- Fire opal: Fireball (10d6, Reflex DC 20 half)
- Opal: Daylight
The helm may be used once per round, but each gem can perform its spell-like power just once. Until all its jewels are depleted, a helm of brilliance also has the following magical properties when activated.
- It emanates a bluish light when undead are within 30 feet. This light causes 1d6 points of damage per round to all such creatures within that range.
- The wearer may command any weapon he wields to become a flaming weapon. This is in addition to whatever abilities the weapon may already have (unless the weapon already is a flaming weapon). The command takes 1 round to take effect.
- The helm provides fire resistance 30. This protection does not stack with similar protection from other sources.
Once all its jewels have lost their magic, the helm loses its powers and the gems turn to worthless powder. Removing a jewel destroys it.
If a creature wearing the helm is damaged by magical fire (after the fire protection is taken into account) and fails an additional DC 15 Will save, the remaining gems on the helm overload and detonate. Remaining diamonds become prismatic sprays that each randomly target a creature within range (possibly the wearer), rubies become straight-line walls of fire extending outward in a random direction from the helm wearer, and fire opals become fireballs centered on the helm wearer. The opals and the helm itself are destroyed.