Price 182,000 gp; Slot none; CL 10th; Weight 3 lbs.; Aura moderate varies
This banner, emblazoned with a good or lawful deity’s holy symbol, is meant to be carried and displayed and has no effect when not mounted properly or when lying on the ground. A bastion banner emits a hallow effect in a 40-foot radius around it, so long as it is borne by one true to the religion whose holy symbol graces the banner.
Within the 40-foot radius of its hallow effect, a planted bastion banner secures terrain that would otherwise be unstable, whether due to natural causes (such as a mudslide) or supernatural causes (such as a specific plane’s morphic trait). Natural terrain is simply fixed in its current configuration and cannot be altered naturally or magically; a spellcaster attempting to change the terrain affected by a bastion banner (such as with move earth or transmute mud to rock) must make a successful DC 21 caster level check to do so.
Unnaturally or magically morphic terrain (such as that on the Abyss) is shaped into a 40-foot sphere with the topmost hemispherical half composed of breathable air and the lower hemispherical half composed of packed earth. This effect only secures basic footing against collapse; it cannot impede moving objects from outside the area (such as rain or an avalanche) or forces that act physically on the soil (such as shovels or tunneling creatures).
When planted, a bastion banner also has a specific spell tied to the hallow effect, as well as an additional effect, both tied to the holy symbol it bears. When a bastion banner affects allies, the allies must worship the same deity as the one portrayed on the banner to benefit from the deity-specific spell and effect, and only as long as they are within 40 feet of the banner. Enemies must also be within 40 feet of the banner to be affected.
The spells and effects are:
- Protection from energy (type is set when banner is planted; renews daily); allies gain a +4 sacred bonus on checks to aid another.
- Cause fear (affects enemies only), and the hallow effect is unhallow instead; allies gain a +2 morale bonus on combat maneuver checks.
- Remove fear; whenever allies successfully resist a fear effect, they gain 10 temporary hit points for 1 hour.
- Freedom of movement; once per day, whenever the banner’s owner or an ally rolls a d20, the owner of the banner may choose to treat the roll as a natural 20.
- Invisibility purge; allies gain a +1 morale bonus on damage and attack rolls with ranged weapons.
- Death ward; allies gain a +1 morale bonus on damage and attack rolls with melee weapons.
- Resist energy (type is set when banner is planted); allies gain a +2 sacred bonus on saves.
- Daylight; all spells with the fire or light descriptor cast from within the affected area are cast at +1 caster level.
- Tongues; allies gain a +2 enhancement bonus to Charisma.
- Dimensional anchor; allies gain a +2 sacred bonus to AC.
- Darkness, and hallow effect is unhallow instead; enemies are sickened.
Pathfinder Player Companion: Demon Hunter’s Handbook © 2013, Paizo Publishing, LLC; Authors: Philip Minchin, F. Wesley Schneider, and Jerome Virnich.