The investigator can peruse a chronicle as a standard action, applying its benefits as though he had studied it for the full 1d4 rounds. Upon studying a chronicle, the investigator can expend one use of inspiration to apply the volume’s benefits for a number of hours equal to his Intelligence modifier and gain an additional benefit based on the volume’s associated Knowledge skill during that time. The investigator can have only one such ongoing benefit at a time, and activating a new benefit ends the first one.
- Arcana, Nature, Planes, or Religion: When performing a studied strike, the investigator’s attack overcomes damage reduction as if it were a weapon with the following property based on the associated Knowledge check: adamantine (arcana), chaotic (planes), cold iron (nature), evil (planes), good (planes), lawful (planes), silver (religion). He also gains a +1 insight bonus on saving throws against creatures identifiable by the associated Knowledge check (for example, outsiders for Knowledge [planes]).
- Dungeoneering: The investigator can deal half his studied strike damage to creatures immune to sneak attacks.
- Engineering: Whenever he uses his inspiration on Disable Device checks to open locks or on Perception checks to find hidden compartments, the investigator gains a circumstance bonus on the check equal to one-third his level.
- Geography: The investigator increases any bonuses to AC and on Reflex saving throws he gains from partial cover, total cover, and improved cover by 1.
- History: The investigator can study a foe using studied combat a second time in 24 hours as a full-round action without expending inspiration. Subsequent uses of studied combat require inspiration as normal.
- Local: Whenever he uses his inspiration on Bluff checks to feint, Diplomacy checks to gather information, or Intimidate checks to improve a creature’s attitude, the investigator gains a circumstance bonus on the check equal to one-third his level.
- Nobility: Whenever he uses his inspiration on Bluff checks to lie, Diplomacy checks to request favors, or Intimidate checks to demoralize, the investigator gains a circumstance bonus on the check equal to one-third his level.
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Adventurer’s Guide © 2017, Paizo Inc.; Authors: Benjamin Bruck, John Compton, Crystal Frasier, Tim Hitchcock, Jenny Jarzabski, Isabelle Lee, Joe Pasini, Jessica Price, David Schwartz, and Josh Vogt.