Somewhere in humanities lost aeons a race of malformed serpentine humanoids rose, now known as inphidians. While the truth of their origins has been long forgotten, most sages subscribe to one of two theories. The first states the creatures are the failed results of horrific experiments performed by the dark and nameless sorcerers of an ancient snake cult in their attempts to ensorcel their followers. The second theory contends the inphidians were once a cult of snake worshipers cursed by an ancient snake-god for some transgression against the ethos. Whatever the truth, it appears as of late that the inphidians have evolved into true race, beyond the machinations of arcane experiments or curses. While there exist several known species, recent reports describe encounters with yet unidentified inphidians and others are sure to surface as encounters with the race grow more frequent.
All inphidians, regardless of the subspecies, have viper heads in place of their hands. The creatures use these in combat to deliver a powerful bite that injects the victim with poison. Inphidians, particularly the craftsmen, wear special gloves called inphidian gauntlets that let them use their hands like any other humanoid with five digits (including an opposing thumb) uses its hands.
Inphidians trade with other races, particularly evil underground races such as derro, driders, and drow. Trade usually takes the form of crafted goods, food, or slaves. Inphidian craftsmen are some of the finest known distillers of poisons, venoms, and antitoxins. Their products are highly sought after by all manner of poison-using races.
An important aspect of any inphidian community is religion. The inphidian race as a whole worships the Great Serpent (Hassith-Kaa). Little is known of this religion or the priests of the Great Serpent. Inphidian clerics can choose from any of the two following domains: Evil, Serpent, Strength, and Trickery.
All inphidian characters, regardless of subspecies, have the following traits. Additional traits for the various subspecies or traits that differ are listed under their individual entries.
Inphidians gain the reptilian subtype.
- +4 Strength, +6 Dexterity, +4 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma. Deft and agile inphidians make excellent rogues.
- Darkvision: Inphidians can see in the dark up to 60 feet.
- Racial Hit Dice: An inphidian begins with four levels of monstrous humanoid, which provide 4d10 HD, a base attack bonus of +4, base save bonuses of Fort +1, Ref +3, Will +3.
- Racial Skills: An inphidian’s monstrous humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 4 x (4 + Int modifier).
- Racial Feats: An inphidian’s monstrous humanoid levels give it two feats.
- AC: +4 natural AC bonus.
- Special Attacks: poison
- Languages: Inphidians begin play knowing their own language and can speak Common provided they have an intelligence of at least 10. Inphidians with higher intelligence can choose from any of the following bonus languages: Aklo, Dwarven, Elven, Goblin, Orc.
Inphidians from the Tome of Horrors Complete, Copyright 2011, Necromancer Games, Inc., published and distributed by Frog God Games.