This creature resembles a wingless bipedal crow with slick black feathers, powerful arms that end in razor-sharp claws, and a gold beak.
Dire Corby CR 1
Speed 30 ft.
Melee 2 claws +5 (1d4+3)
Dire corbies hunt in flocks. They enjoy the thrill of the hunt and enjoy running their prey down, toying with it before swooping in and tearing it to shreds with their claws. Dire corbies always fight to the death and never flee, even when faced with overwhelming odds.
Organization gang (2–5), flock (6-11), or community (10-60 plus 1 leader of 3rd-5th level per 10 adults)
Dire corbies are humanoid, bipedal birdmen that dwell deep beneath the surface world. They make their homes in large, open caverns, hollowing out individual shelters in the walls themselves. These creatures do not possess wings now, but did in some remote part of their past. Why their wings disappeared and were replaced by claws is unknown. Dire corbies are omnivores but prefer a diet of fresh meat, enjoying the flesh of subterranean rodents, animals, and even other races. They are particularly fond of the flesh of bats, savoring the leathery grit of their flesh.
Dire corbies possess racial Hit Dice and may have class levels. Dire corbies have the following racial traits.
- +6 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, –4 Intelligence, –2 Charisma. Dire corbies are physically impressive, but lack judgment.
- Movement A dire corby’s base land speed is 30 feet
- Senses Darkvision 60 ft. (dire corbies can see perfectly in darkness out to 60 feet.)
- Racial Hit Dice Dire corbies begin play with 2 levels of monstrous humanoid, which provides 2d10 HD, a base attack bonus of +2, and base saves of Fort +0, Ref +3, Will +3.
- Racial Skills A dire corby’s monstrous humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 2 x (4 + Int modifier, minimum 1). Dire corbies receive a +4 racial bonus on Perception checks.
- Racial Feats A dire corby’s monstrous humanoid levels gives it one feat.
- AC Dire corbies receive a +3 natural armor bonus
- Natural Weapons A dire corby may attack with 2 claws (1d4)
- Languages Dire corbies begin play speaking Aklo. Dire corbies with high intelligence may choose from the following bonus languages: Common, Undercommon, Goblin