This creature appears as a large, shaggy, fur-covered humanoid with clawed hands and feet. Two, long, upright tusks protrude from its mouth. Its eyes are dull brown and its fur is brownish-yellow.
Bog Beast CR 5
Str 20, Dex 11, Con 18, Int 5, Wis 12, Cha 9
Base Atk +5; CMB +11; CMD 21
Feats Intimidating Prowess, Skill Focus (Perception), Weapon Focus (claw)
Skills Intimidate +9, Perception +10, Survival +5; Racial Modifiers +4 Survival
Environment temperate marshes
Organization solitary or pack (2–5)
Bog beasts make their homes in bogs and swamps and feed on creatures that dwell there. They are avid hunters and a bog beast’s hunting area usually covers a large expanse of ground several miles around its lair.
A bog beast stands over 9 feet tall and weighs around 1,100 pounds. It makes its lair amid overgrown swamplands and attacks just about any creature that travels too close to its lair. They seem to be able to communicate with one another through a series of guttural grunts and growls, but do not speak any known language.
Bog beasts attack with their claws and always fight to the death. A creature killed by a bog beast is dragged back to its lair, where it is devoured.
Bog Beast Characters
Bog beasts have racial Hit Dice and can have class levels. Bog beasts possess the following racial traits.
- +10 Strength, +8 Constitution, -6 Intelligence (minimum 3) +2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma: Bog beasts are brutish and tough, but lack intelligence or sophistication.
- Large Size: Bog beasts are large and have the following adjustments –1 penalty to Armor Class, –1 penalty on attack rolls, –4 penalty on Stealth checks, +1 bonus on CMB/CMD, lifting and carrying limits double those of Medium characters.
- Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
- Base Speed: A bog beast’s base speed is 30 feet.
- Darkvision: Bog beasts can see in the dark up to 60 feet.
- Racial Hit Dice: A bog beast begins with five levels of monstrous humanoid, which provide 5d20 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +5, and base saves of Fort +1, Ref +4, and Will +4.
- Racial Skilled: A bog beast’s monstrous humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 5 x (4 + Int modifier, minimum 1). A bog beast gains a +4 racial bonus to Survival.
- Racial Feats: A bog beast’s monstrous humanoid levels give it three feats.
- AC: Bog beasts have +5 natural armor bonus.
- Natural Weapons: Bog beasts fight with 2 claws (1d6).
- Special Attacks: Disease (see above), rend (2 claws, 1d6+1-1/2 times Str modifier).
- Special Qualities: Scent.
- Languages: Bog beasts begin play speak Bog Beast. Bog beasts with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following bonus languages: Common, Giant, Orc, Goblin.
Bog Beast from the Tome of Horrors Complete, Copyright 2011, Necromancer Games, Inc., published and distributed by Frog God Games; Author Scott Greene.