Robed in silk and its own regal wings, this humanoid assays its surroundings with the lethal detachment of the owl it resembles.
Syrinx CR 1/3
Str 8, Dex 8, Con 9, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 11
Base Atk +0; CMB –1; CMD 8
Feats Combat Casting
Skills Fly +3, Perception +3 (+5 at night), Spellcraft +5; Racial Modifiers +2 Perception at night, +2 Stealth at night
Languages Common, Syrinx; speak with avians
Speak with Avians (Ex)
Environment temperate mountains
Organization solitary, pair, or cell (3–8)
From lofty monastery-cities entrenched in soaring cliff sides and high mountain valleys, the syrinx seek to bring peace to all lands that fall within sight of their marbled spires. Erudite and aloof, the owl-like scholars embrace art, philosophy, and nebulous faiths, seeking to distance themselves from a history of barbarism and ruin. To this end, they seek to enslave all lesser races, especially those without wings. Their elitist culture rests upon thousands of backs in an elaborate hierarchy of slaves. Directly below the syrinx are the strix, a race they magically modified in the distant past to serve as warriors and slave masters.
Syrinx Characters (16 RP)
Syrinx are defined by their class levels, and do not possess racial Hit Dice. Syrinx have the following racial traits.
- Ability Score Modifiers Syrinx are contemplative and patient, traits that make them somewhat slow to act. As a result, syrinx gain a +2 bonus to Wisdom but suffer a –2 penalty to Dexterity.
- Speed: Syrinx have a base speed of 30 feet.
- Flight: Syrinx have a fly speed of 60 feet with average maneuverability.
- Languages: Syrinx begin play speaking Syrinx. Syrinx with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Auran, Celestial, Strix, or Infernal.
- Pride (2 RP): Syrinx receive a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against mind-affecting effects.
- Nocturnal: Syrinx gain a +2 racial bonus on Perception and Stealth checks at night.
- Speak with Avians (0 RP): Syrinx can speak with all birds of the animal creature type and birdlike magical beasts (like phoenixes and thunderbirds).
- Low-Light Vision: Syrinx can see twice as far as humans in conditions of dim light.
- Darkvision: Syrinx can see in the dark up to 60 feet.
Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Inner Sea Bestiary © 2012, Paizo Publishing, LLC; Authors: Jim Groves, James Jacobs, Rob McCreary, Erik Mona, Jason Nelson, Patrick Renie, F. Wesley Schneider, James L. Sutter, Russ Taylor, and Greg A. Vaughan.