This creature is a stocky humanoid standing about 5 or 6 feet tall with sooty-black hair and green eyes. It wears crudely constructed hides of fur and leather. Its face has a curious, almost child-like appearance and seems to be imprinted with a permanent, non-changing smile. Its skin is pinkish-white.
Lava Child CR 3
Speed 30 ft.
Melee 2 claws +4 (1d4+1) and bite +4 (1d6+1)
Special Attacks rend (2 claws, 2d4+1)
Str 13, Dex 11, Con 13, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 11
Base Atk +3; CMB +4; CMD 14
Feats Improved Initiative, Skill Focus (Perception)
Skills Knowledge (Dungeoneering) +4, Perception +7
Languages Ignan, Lava Child
Lava children take 1 extra point of damage per caster level from spells and effects with the air or water subtype and from spells of the Air and Water domains.
Lava children are immune to all spells and effects with the earth descriptor and all spells of the Earth domain.
Lava children are completely immune to any metal object or weapon and its effects (swords, armor, doors, walls, for example). Metal simply passes through the lava child as though it did not exist. Metal items are not destroyed, just ignored. Any metal weapon (including magic weapons) that strikes a lava child deals no damage and simply passes through its body. Likewise a lava child can simply walk through metal doors or walls as though they did not exist.
All attacks against a metal-armored foe are considered melee touch attacks as the lava child’s attacks simply pass through the metal armor.
Lava Children as Characters
Lava Children possess racial Hit Dice and may have class levels. Lava Children have the following racial traits.
- +2 Strength, +2 Constitution. Lava children are strong and hardy.
- Darkvision: Lava children can see in the dark up to 60 feet.
- Racial Hit Dice: A lava child begins with four levels of humanoid, which provide 4d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +3, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +4, Ref +1, and Will +1.
- Racial Skills: A lava child’s humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 4 x (2 + Int modifier).
- Racial Feats: A lava child’s humanoid levels give it two feats.
- AC: +6 natural armor bonus.
- Natural Weapons: 2 claws (1d4) and bite (1d6).
- Special Attacks: Rend (2d4+1) (see left).
- Defensive Abilities: Elemental vulnerability, immunity to earth magic, immunity to fire, immunity to metal, elemental traits, vulnerability to cold (see left).
- Languages: Ignan, Lava Child. Lava children with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following languages: Dwarf, Goblin, Orc, Terran.
Lava children make their lairs deep underground and usually in warmer climates. Some lava children build their communities in dying or burned out volcanoes as well. Their society as a whole is reclusive, and rarely do lava children have dealings with outside races (magmin and fire elementals being the exception).
Lava children attack with their clawed hands and vicious bite. They direct their attacks against the most heavily armored foe (as their attacks can pass through armor) in an attempt to weaken their opponent’s strongest (and probably front line) combatants.
Lava Child from the Tome of Horrors Complete, Copyright 2011, Necromancer Games, Inc., published and distributed by Frog God Games; Author Scott Greene, based on original material by Jim Donohoe.