This creature looks like a bipedal tree frog, smaller than a halfling, and with humanoid arms and hands in place of its forelimbs. Its skin is grayish-green with dark green swirls and stripes.
Grippli CR 1/3
Str 11, Dex 13, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 11, Cha 6
Base Atk +1; CMB +0; CMD 12
Skills Climb +12, Perception +4, Stealth +5 (+11 to hide in marshes or forests), Swim +4; Racial Modifiers +6 to Stealth to hide in marshes or forests
Languages Common, Grippli
SQ swamp stride
Gear short sword, 6 darts, net
Gripplis can move across marshlands, swamps, and mud without any penalty to their movement speed.
Grippli leaders are usually rogues or rogue/fighters. Grippli priests are usually adepts. Grippli clerics have access to two of the following domains: Animal, Plant, Protection, and Travel. Grippli characters possess the following racial traits.
- –2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom, –2 Charisma: Gripplis are agile, clever, and taciturn.
- Small Size : Gripplis are Small creatures and gain a +1 size bonus to their AC, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –1 penalty to their CMB and CMD, and a +4 size bonus on Stealth checks.
- Fast : Gripplis are fast for their size, and have a base speed of 30 feet. Gripplis have a base climb speed is 30 feet.
- Darkvision : Gripplis can see in the dark up to 60 feet.
- Defensive Camouflage: Gripplis have a +6 bonus on Stealth checks to hide in marshes or forests.
- Special Qualities: Swamp stride (see above).
- Automatic Languages: Grippli. Bonus Languages Common, Sylvan, Elven, Goblin, Orc.
Environment warm forests and marshes
Organization solitary, gang (2–5), pack (6–11), or village (20–30 plus 35% noncombatants plus 1 3rd-level cleric)
Gripplis are short frog-like humanoids that dwell in swamps and marshes. They can move upright or on all fours. They spend most of their time scooting about their community doing many of the same tasks that humans employ in their own communities.
A grippli stands 2 to 2–1/2 feet tall and weighs from 40 to 50 pounds. Its eyes are yellow with vertical-slit pupils of black. Gripplis often wear brightly colored or decorated clothes. They are attracted to and love brightly colored items.
Gripplis are peaceful and nonaggressive, only attacking when threatened or frightened. They prefer to keep their opponents at distance and attack using their nets and darts. If engaged in melee, gripplis employ short swords. Some gripplis coat their darts with poison before entering battle.
A grippli village is human-like in organization. Each grippli family maintains its own dwelling place. The huts are small and constructed of wood and mud. Gripplis build them beneath the branches of large trees so as to shade themselves from the long, hot days. Each grippli village is led by a tribal leader (usually a female adept or cleric of at least 3rd level). Gripplis survive through trade with other peace-loving races such as elves and halflings or through hunting. Gripplis are fond of various fruits and insects (including the giant varieties) and collect and store them in village huts for the winter months when food becomes scarce. Gripplis reproduce by laying eggs. A typical clutch contains a single egg, as gripplis are slow to reproduce. For this reason, they defend their young with a ferocity unknown among many other races.