This giant creature stands nearly twice as tall as a normal man. Its hide is earth-colored and its hair is dark. Its eyes are deep brown. The creature’s arms and legs are long and thin and end in sharpened talons. Its feet end in three-toed feet.
Rock Troll CR 6
Rock trolls attack any living thing that enters their territory, usually doing so for food. They have no strategy or organization in their attacks; a rock troll flails relentlessly at its foes with its powerful claws until either it or its opponent is dead.
Str 25, Dex 12, Con 25, Int 6, Wis 9, Cha 6
Base Atk +6; CMB +14; CMD 25
Feats Alertness, Intimidating Prowess, Power Attack, Skill Focus (Intimidate)
Skills Intimidate +8, Linguistics -2, Perception +5, Sense Motive +3
Languages Common, Giant
A rock troll heals only if it is underground and touching dirt or earth.
A rock troll exposed to sunlight (not merely a daylight spell) can only take a single move or attack action and is instantly turned to stone (as if by a flesh to stone spell) in the next round if its fails a DC 17 Fortitude save. This effect is permanent, but can be dispelled if the rock troll is removed from the source of the sunlight and stone to flesh is cast on it. A rock troll must make a new saving throw each round it remains in sunlight.
Rock trolls have racial Hit Dice and can have class levels. Rock troll characters possess the following racial traits.
- +14 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +14 Constitution, -6 Intelligence (minimum 3), -2 Wisdom, -4 Charisma. Rock trolls are extremely powerful creatures but are often vulnerable to trickery.
- Large size: Rock trolls are Large and have the following adjustments -1 penalty to Armor Class, -1 penalty on attack rolls, -4 penalty on Stealth checks, +1 bonus on CMB/CMD, lifting and carrying limits double those of Medium characters.
- Space/Reach: 10 feet/10 feet.
- Base speed: A rock troll’s base land speed is 30 feet. Its burrow speed is 20 feet.
- Darkvision: Rock trolls can see in the dark up to 60 feet.
- Low-light vision: Rock trolls can see twice as far as humans in conditions of dim light.
- Scent: Rock trolls can detect opponents within 30 feet by sense of smell.
- Racial Hit Dice: A rock troll begins with eight levels of humanoid, which provide 8d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +6, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +6, Ref +2, and Will +2.
- Racial Skills: A rock troll’s humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 8 x (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1).
- Racial Feats: A rock troll’s humanoid levels give it four feats.
- AC: Rock trolls have a +10 natural armor bonus.
- Natural Weapons: Rock troll scan fight with 2 claw (1d6) and bite (1d6).
- Special Attacks: rend (2 claws, 2d6+1-1/2 times Str modifier).
- Special Qualities: fast healing 5, vulnerability to sunlight. (see above)
- Languages: Rock trolls begin play speaking Giant. Rock trolls with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following bonus languages: Common, Orc.
Environment any underground
Organization solitary or gang (2-4)
Rock trolls are relatives of the normal troll and make their lairs deep within the subterranean realms of the earth. Most underground creatures avoid rock trolls, as they are completely malign and evil, attacking any living creature, especially when hungry. They are quite fond of human and halfling flesh. Unlike common trolls, rock trolls cannot regenerate lost limbs (though they do possess the ability to quickly heal damage).
Rock trolls are 10 feet tall and weigh about 600 pounds. They resemble their smaller relatives in most respects. The rock troll’s hide is stone gray or brown, its hair is black or brown, and its eyes are dull brown.
Rock Troll from the Tome of Horrors Complete, Copyright 2011, Necromancer Games, Inc., published and distributed by Frog God Games; Author Scott Greene.