This ugly humanoid appears to be about 6 feet tall. Its leathery skin is blackish-gray and its eyes are yellow. It has long, upright ears, almost elven in nature. Its arms and legs are long and slender and end in wicked-looking claws.
Cave Troll CR 4
Cave trolls often use deception when they first encounter prey, especially intelligent prey. Their troll heritage often leads to the misconception that they are slow in combat, which they gladly allow their opponents to believe – until the cave troll strikes or moves. Only then is the ruse negated and the true nature of the troll revealed. Cave trolls attack by grabbing and rending an opponent.
Str 15, Dex 22, Con 20, Int 6, Wis 9, Cha 6
Base Atk +3; CMB +5; CMD 22
Feats Lightning Reflexes, Skill Focus (Perception), Toughness
Skills Climb +10, Perception +7
SQ haste, spider climb
A cave troll is affected by a permanent haste spell (caster level 8th). This grants the cave troll a +1 bonus on attack rolls, and a +1 dodge bonus to AC and Reflex saves (both already figured into the stat block above). Any condition that makes the cave troll lose its Dexterity bonus to AC also makes it lose its dodge bonus. This is an inherent bonus and cannot be dispelled or negated.
When making a full attack action, a cave troll can make one extra attack with any weapon it is holding or one extra claw attack (if using natural weapons). The extra attack is at the cave troll’s full attack bonus.
A cave troll can climb sheer surfaces as though by a spider climb spell (caster level 4th). This ability is always active, but can be negated or dispelled. The cave troll can restart it again on its next turn as a free action.
Cave troll characters possess the following racial traits.
- +4 Strength, +12 Dexterity, +10 Constitution, -4 Intelligence (minimum 3), -2 Wisdom, -4 Charisma.
- Base speed: A cave troll’s base land speed is 60 feet. Its permanent spider climb ability gives it a climb speed of 20 ft.
- Darkvision: Cave trolls can see in the dark out to 90 feet.
- Low-light vision: Cave trolls can see twice as far as humans in conditions of dim light.
- Scent: Cave trolls can detect opponents within 30 feet by sense of smell.
- Racial Hit Dice: A cave troll begins with four levels of humanoid, which provide 4d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +3, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +4, Ref +1, and Will +1.
- Racial Skills: A cave troll’s humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 4 x (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1).
- Racial Feats: A cave troll’s humanoid levels give it two feats.
- AC: +5 natural armor bonus.
- Natural Weapons: Cave trolls fight with 2 claws (1d4) and a bite (1d6).
- Special Attacks: Rend (see left).
- Special Qualities: Haste, regeneration 3 (fire or acid), spider climb (see left).
- Languages: Cave trolls begin play speaking Giant. Cave trolls with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following languages: Common, Orc.
Organization solitary or gang (2-4)
Cave trolls are smaller cousins of the normal troll and are found in all types of subterranean realms. They are as deadly, or more so, than their larger brethren. Cave trolls have the same voracious appetite of the normal troll and sustain themselves on whatever they can find in their underground realms. They rarely venture to the surface world, preferring the security and tranquility of the darkness they inhabit. If extremely hungry or if food is scarce, however, a cave troll ventures to the surface and attacks whatever it finds near its lair.
Cave trolls stand 6 feet tall and weigh 300 pounds. Cave trolls do not walk with the same hunched gait of their larger relatives. They stand upright and move with blinding speed.
Cave Troll from the Tome of Horrors Complete, Copyright 2011, Necromancer Games, Inc., published and distributed by Frog God Games; Authors Scott Greene and Clark Peterson.