This giant resembles a wood elf of about 10 feet tall. It has brownish-green skin, a bald head, and bright green eyes.
Str 21, Dex 16, Con 17, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 12
Base Atk +5; CMB +11; CMD 24
Feats Deadly Aim, Point Blank Shot, Martial Weapon Proficiency (longbow), Weapon Focus (longbow)
Skills Acrobatics +10, Climb +15, Perception +9, Stealth +6 (+10 in forests); Racial Modifiers +4 Stealth in forests
Languages Common, Giant, Sylvan
SQ change shape 3/day (alter self, giant form I)
Gear greatsword, masterwork composite longbow (+5 Str), 20 arrows, leather armor
Most wood giant chieftains are rangers. Wood giant clerics are called shamans and can choose two of the following domains: Animal, Earth, or Plant. Wood giant characters possess the following racial traits.
- +10 Str, +6 Dex, +6 Con, +4 Int, +4 Wis, +2 Cha: Wood giants are powerful and clever forest-dwellers.
- Large size: –1 penalty to Armor Class, –1 penalty on attack rolls, –4 penalty on Stealth checks, +1 bonus to CMB and CMD, lifting and carrying limits double those of Medium characters.
- Low-Light Vision: Wood giants can see twice as far as humans in conditions of dim light.
- Darkvision: Wood giants can see in the dark to a range of 60 feet.
- Saves: Wood giants have a +2 bonus to saves vs. spells of the enchantment school.
- Armor: Wood giants have a +4 natural armor bonus.
- Speed: 40 feet.
- Racial Hit Dice: A wood giant begins with seven levels of giant, which provide 7d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +5, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +5, Ref +2, and Will +2.
- Racial Skills: A wood giant’s giant levels give it skill ranks equal to 7 x (2 + Int modifier). A wood giant has a +4 racial bonus on Stealth checks in forested areas.
- Racial Feats: A wood giant’s giant levels give it three feats.
- Special Qualities: (see left) Change shape
- Automatic Languages: Giant. Bonus Languages Common, Draconic, Elven, Goblin, Orc, and Sylvan.
Environment temperate and warm forests
Organization solitary, gang (2–5), clan (6–9 plus 35% noncombatants), trading party (2–5 plus 2–4 wood elves), or hunting party (2–5 plus 2–4 wood elves and 1–4 dire wolves)
Wood giants are peaceful, good-natured giants found in the forested areas of the world. The average wood giant stands 9 feet tall, weighs 900 pounds, and resembles a large wood elf. Wood giants have large heads and prominent jaws; their elf-like ears sit high on their long, oval heads. Most wood giants (particularly males) are bald. Their skin is usually brownish-green. Wood giants dress in greens or browns and prefer neutral colors to the bright or dull colors of other races. Wood giants can live to be 400 years old.
Wood giants are on friendly terms with most benign creatures of the forest, particularly wood elves. Though contact outside their immediate clan is rare, they do occasionally have dealings with nearby tribes of wood elves. Wood giant villages are large and open expanses of land with few if any buildings or shelters. Wood giants prefer to spend their time under the warmth of the day and the serenity of the night. They do not associate with—and usually attack on sight—evil forest creatures.
Wood giants usually attack from ambush, hiding in dense undergrowth and firing at their prey with their bows before closing to melee with their greatswords.
Wood Giant from the Tome of Horrors Complete, Copyright 2011, Necromancer Games, Inc., published and distributed by Frog God Games; Author Scott Greene, based on original material by Wizards of the Coast.