This giant looks like a savage humanoid with dark tan skin, dark hair, and green eyes.
SAND GIANT CR 14
Speed 40 ft.
Melee greatsword +24/+19/+14 (4d6+16) or 2 slams +23 (2d6+11)
Ranged rock +14 (2d6+16)
Space 15 ft.; Reach 15 ft.
Special Attacks fist of sand (slam +26, 1d8+10 damage; DC 29; CMB +26, CMD 36; AC 20, touch 8, flat-footed 20; hp 69; 19 rounds), rock throwing (120 ft.)
Spell-like Abilities (CL 19th):
Str 33, Dex 13, Con 23, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 14
Base Atk +14; CMB +27 (+29 bull rush); CMD 38 (40 vs. bull rush)
Feats Alertness, Awesome Blow, Cleave, Great Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Iron Will, Power Attack, Toughness, Vital Strike, Weapon Focus (greatsword)
Skills Acrobatics +19, Perception +27, Survival +23
Languages Common, Giant
SQ weapon and armor proficiency
Gear greatsword, studded leather armor
Once per day as a move action, a sand giant can form a volume of sand within 40 feet into the shape of a 20-foot long arm that ends in a clenched fist. The arm is Huge and has a space of 15 ft. and a reach of 20 ft. The arm and fist cannot move from the location where it was created.
The sand giant can order the arm to attack a target as a move action. Once given a target, the arm automatically attacks that target on the giant’s turn. The arm remains for a number of rounds equal to the sand giant’s Hit Dice (19 rounds for a typical sand giant). A sand giant does not need to concentrate to maintain the arm and can direct it to attack a new target or adapt a new tactic as a free action.
The arm’s base attack bonus is equal to that of the giant that created it, and it deals slam damage equal to the slam attack for a creature of its size (Huge). Any creature struck must succeed on a DC 29 Fortitude save or be stunned for 1 round. The save DC is Strength-based, using the HD of the sand giant and the Strength of the fist of sand.
The arm has an AC of 20 (+12 natural, –2 size) and has hit points equal to three times the Constitution score of the sand giant that created it. It has a Strength score of 30. The arm loses shape if it is reduced to 0 or less hit points, the duration expires, or the sand giant dies.
Sand giants are automatically proficient with simple weapons, martial weapons, light and medium armor, and shields.
- +22 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +12 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom, +4 Charisma
- Huge: Sand giants are Huge and take a –2 penalty to AC, –2 penalty to attack rolls, +2 bonus to Combat Maneuver Bonus and Combat Maneuver Defense, and a –8 penalty to Stealth checks. A sand giant’s lifting and carrying limits quadruple those of Medium characters.
- Space 15 ft., Reach 15 ft.
- Speed: A sand giant’s base speed is 50 feet.
- Low-light vision: Sand giants can see twice as far as humans in conditions of dim light.
- Racial Hit Dice: A sand giant starts with nineteen levels of humanoid, which provide it with 19d8 HD, a base attack bonus of +14, and base save bonuses of Fort +11, Ref +6, Will +6.
- Racial Skills: A sand giant’s giant levels give it skill points equal to 19 x (2 + Int modifier). Its class skill are Intimidate and Perception.
- Racial Feats: A sand giant’s giant levels give it 10 feats.
- AC: +12 natural AC bonus.
- Special Attacks (see left): Fist of sand, spell-like abilities.
- Special Qualities (see lefft): Rock catching, scent.
- Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Sand giants are automatically proficient with simple weapons, martial weapons, light and medium armor, and shields.
- Languages: Sand giants begin play speaking Giant and Common. Sand giants with high intelligence scores can choose from the following languages: Draconic, Elven, Goblin, and Orc.
Environment warm desert
Organization solitary, gang (2–4), raiding party (6–9 plus 1 cleric or sorcerer of 6th–9th level), family (2–4 plus 35% noncombatants), or tribe (8–27 plus 35% noncombatants and 1 sorcerer of 10th–12th level and 1 cleric of 9th–11th level)
Sand giants are brutal, somewhat barbaric giants that prey on those weaker than themselves. They have dark tan skin, brown hair, and dark brown or dark green eyes. An adult male stands approximately 20 feet tall. Males tend to wear their hair and beards braided. Sand giants wear light clothes and light armor (if any). In times of battle or war, males may don chainmail. A typical sand giant’s bag contains food, 3d4 mundane items, and a modest amount of cash (no more than 12d10 coins). Sand giants can live to be 500 years old.
Sand giants make their homes in warm desert lands away from civilization. They live in organized tribes consisting of 8–9 families of 2–4 members each. On occasion, a tribe forms a raiding party that sets off to the nearest civilized place, returning at a later time with food, coins, and captives. For each adult in a sand giant’s lair, there is a 40% chance that the lair has 1d3 captives of any humanoid race.
Sand giants favor their greatswords in combat. They usually begin combat by shaping a fist from the surrounding terrain and attacking with their greatswords in concert with the earthen fist. Sand giant do not throw rocks like many other giants do, but they can catch rocks or similar projectiles as other giants.
Sand Giant from the Tome of Horrors Complete, Copyright 2011, Necromancer Games, Inc., published and distributed by Frog God Games; Author Scott Greene.