This faceless construct has a crystal wand set into its chest, bristling with arcane energy.
Clockwork Mage CR 9
Speed 30 ft.
Melee 4 slams +18 (1d4+3)
Special Attacks wand magic
A clockwork mage’s wand crystal allows it to cast spells as if using a spell trigger magic item (CL 9th). The arcane school of the wand crystal determines a clockwork mage’s spells. They cast 1st-level spells at will, 2nd-level spells 3 times per day, and 3rd level spells 1 time per day.
- Abjuration: 1st—hold portal, shield; 2nd—protection from arrows, resist energy; 3rd—dispel magic
- Conjuration: 1st—grease (DC 11), summon monster I; 2nd—glitterdust (DC 13), web (DC 13); 3rd—stinking cloud (DC 14)
- Enchantment: 1st—bungle (DC 11), sleep (DC 11); 2nd—daze monster (DC 13), touch of idiocy; 3rd—deep slumber (DC 14)
- Evocation: 1st—magic missile, shocking grasp (DC 11); 2nd—gust of wind (DC 13), scorching ray; 3rd—fireball (DC 14)
- Illusion: 1st—color spray (DC 11), vanish; 2nd—blur, hypnotic pattern (DC 13); 3rd—displacement
- Necromancy: 1st—cause fear (DC 11), ray of enfeeblement (DC 11), 2nd—blindness/deafness (DC 13), scare (DC 13); 3rd—ray of exhaustion (DC 14)
- Transmutation: 1st—expeditious retreat, reduce person (DC 11); 2nd—alter self, spider climb; 3rd—haste
Environment any land
These constructs are the pinnacle of clockwork inventions. An ingenious combination of mechanical devices and magical conduits allows a clockwork mage to channel the power of a wand into a variety of arcane powers. They often serve powerful arcane spellcasters, or as unflinching and unquestioning casters to those who wants the benefit of spells without ego or free thought.
A humanoid figure of mithral and steel, a clockwork mage has large crystal ball filled with shifting vapors for a head. It stands 7 feet tall.
The creator of a clockwork mage must start with crafted clockwork pieces worth 2,000 gp.
CL 12th; Price 84,000 gp