War Pony CR 1
AC 15, touch 13, flat-footed 15 (+3 Dex, +2 Natural Armor)
hp 17 (2d8+8)
Fort +7, Ref +6, Will +2
Speed 40 ft.
Melee 2 hooves +4 (1d3+3)
A combat trained pony can bear a rider into combat and knows the tricks attack, come, defend, down, guard, and heel.
- Attack The animal attacks apparent enemies. You may point to a particular creature that you wish the animal to attack, and it will comply if able. Normally, an animal will attack only humanoids, monstrous humanoids, giants, or other animals.
- Come The animal comes to you, even if it normally would not do so.
- Defend The animal defends you (or is ready to defend you if no threat is present), even without any command being given. Alternatively, you can command the animal to defend a specific other character.
- Down The animal breaks off from combat or otherwise backs down. An animal that doesn’t know this trick continues to fight until it must flee (due to injury, a fear effect, or the like) or its opponent is defeated.
- Guard The animal stays in place and prevents others from approaching.
- Heel The animal follows you closely, even to places where it normally wouldn’t go.
Environment temperate plains
Organization solitary, pair, or herd (3–30)
War ponies are ponies that have been trained for combat with the Handle Animal skill and that have the advanced simple template. Due to their smaller size than horses they are better suited to halflings, gnomes, and dwarves. They stand 3 to 4 feet tall and weigh about 600 pounds.