Orang-pendaks are a rare offshoot of the sasquatch species that dwells in remote mountainous jungles.
Elusive and shy, they are rarely seen by other races. Given their friendship with apes (gibbons and orangutans in particular) and their hunched posture and shaggy fur— ranging from tawny or reddish to dark brown or black— they are often mistaken for those beasts at a distance.
Orang-pendaks train apes and monkeys to hunt and fight for them, but despite the friendship and similar appearance, the species are not closely related.
Within their remote holds, Orang-pendaks cluster together into seminomadic tribes, hunting and gathering in a region until food and game becomes scarce, then moving on to the next area. Many tribes follow a regional pattern to this migration, allowing parts of the jungle to repopulate and gathering only enough substance so as not to disrupt the land’s ability to recoup the losses.
Orang-pendaks range from 3 to 5 feet tall as adults, weighing up to 150 pounds, and they are quite strong for their size. Orang-pendaks are largely herbivorous, but sometimes hunt with spears, clubs, and bolas.
Orang-pendaks are defined by their class levels—they don’t have racial Hit Dice.
All orang-pendaks have the following racial traits.
- Ability Score Modifiers: Orang-pendaks are strong and intuitive, but not particularly clever. They gain +2 Strength and +2 Wisdom but suffer –2 Intelligence.
- Size: Orang-pendaks are Small creatures and gain a +1 size bonus to their AC, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –1 penalty on combat maneuver checks and to CMD, and a +4 size bonus on Stealth checks.
- Base Speed: Orang-pendaks have a base speed of 30 feet.
- Languages: Orang-pendaks begin play speaking Sasquatch. Orang-pendaks who have high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Aklo, Common, Draconic, Goblin, Grippli, Sylvan, Vanaran, and Vishkanya. See the Linguistics skill page for more information about these languages.
- Forest Walker (Ex) Orang-pendaks gain a +4 bonus on Climb and Stealth checks in forests and jungles.
- Simian Empathy (Ex) Orang-pendaks gain a +4 racial bonus on Handle Animal and wild empathy checks with apes and monkeys.
- Tear Apart (Ex) Orang-pendaks have powerful upper bodies and gain a +2 racial bonus on Strength checks to break or burst an object. This bonus also applies on combat maneuver checks to sunder with their unarmed attacks.
- Low-Light Vision: Orang-pendaks can see twice as far as humans in conditions of dim light.
- Own Two Feet (Ex) Orang-pendaks are extremely unnerved whenever they are riding another creature or on a vehicle, and they take a – 2 penalty on ability checks, attack rolls, damage rolls, saving throws, and skill checks when doing so.
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Bestiary 5 © 2015, Paizo Inc.; Authors: Dennis Baker, Jesse Benner, John Bennett, Logan Bonner, Creighton Broadhurst, Robert Brookes, Benjamin Bruck, Jason Bulmahn, Adam Daigle, Thurston Hillman, Eric Hindley, Joe Homes, James Jacobs, Amanda Hamon Kunz, Ben McFarland, Jason Nelson, Thom Phillips, Stephen Radney-MacFarland, Alistair Rigg, Alex Riggs, David N. Ross, Wes Schneider, David Schwartz, Mark Seifter, Mike Shel, James L. Sutter, and Linda Zayas-Palmer.