Lizardfolk are savage and cunning predators who are easily provoked and fiercely territorial. However, this conception is only a half-truth. The lizardfolk are an ancient race, whose culture and tribal traditions have remained unchanged for millennia.
Physical Description: Lizardfolk resemble bipedal reptilian humanoids. Their imposing frame stands between 6 and 7 feet tall, with bodies covered in gray, green, or brown scales. Their heads are adorned with brightly colored dorsal frills or spiky spines and have short crocodilian snouts. Although their 4-foot long tails often drags on the ground behind them while on land, it allows them remarkable stability and great maneuverability in the water.
Society: Lizardfolk dwell in highly communal, primitive settlements deep within swamp and marshland. Their society is patriarchal, with the strongest male leading tribes and shamans serving as his advisors. Despite their boorish treatment of outsiders, among their own kind lizardfolk are highly sociable.
Relations: Many tribes watch the encroachment of warm-blooded humanoids in their lands with weariness and dread. Ingrained superstitions, isolationist tendencies, and aversion to change often puts lizardfolk at odds with other races and as a result their numbers suffer mightily. Although they regard any mammal with a measure of disdain, among the more common races they get along best with gnomes, who are flighty and not considered a threat, and dwarves, whose toughness and craftsmanship they respect.
Alignment and Religion: Despite widely held conceptions, most lizardfolk are not evil. For lizardfolk, the struggle for survival is more important than how that survival is sustained, and they tend towards neutral alignment. Lizardfolk may be temperamental but they rarely hold long grudges, as this is perceived as a wasteful use of energy. Lizardfolk have a similarly pragmatic approach to faith, offering prayers as well as nature and ancestor spirits.
Adventurers: Increasingly more common, younger lizardfolk, either curious of civilization or eager to prove themselves, leave their ancestral swamps to experience the wider world. For those facing exile, adventuring is the most viable option for survival. Lizardfolk make formidable combatants and are naturally skilled barbarians and rangers.
Male Names: Arashk, Braza, Drazzat, Grauk, Guhet, Kaszuk, Kiuz, Rashaz, Traz, Varak, Yizzik.
Female Names: Crae, Drazda, Hara, Hesk, Jazaka, Kroga, Riza, Saraza, Saress, Zara, Yikuz.
- +2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence. Lizardfolk are sturdy and simple.
- Medium: Lizardfolk are Medium creatures, and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Normal Speed: Lizardfolk have a base speed of 30 feet.
- Swimming: Lizardfolk have a swim speed of 15 feet. A lizardfolk has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. A lizardfolk can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. A lizardfolk can use the run action while swimming, provided he swims in a straight line.
- Hold Breath: A lizardfolk can hold its breath for a number of rounds equal to 4 times its Constitution score before it risks drowning.
- Natural Weapons: Lizardfolk possess natural claw attacks that inflict 1d4 points of damage on a successful hit. This is a primary attack, or a secondary attack if the lizardfolk wields a manufactured weapon.
- Well-Balanced: Lizardfolk receive a +4 racial bonus on Acrobatics checks.
- Languages: Lizardfolk begin play speaking Draconic. Lizardfolk with high Intelligence can choose bonus languages from the following: Aquan, Common, Goblin, Gnoll, or Orc.
The following feats are available to a lizardfolk character who meets the prerequisites.