The bahgra are often referred to as “dog folk” due to their distinctly canine features. Although they stand upright with fully articulate hands, their heads still portray the bestial snout and teeth of wild dogs. They also communicate through barks, growls, and soulful whines, but struggle to make themselves understood in the languages of other races, lacking the ability to make certain sounds and facial expressions. Generally taller than dwarves, but shorter than humans, bahgra flourish in both temperate and cold environments thanks to their natural fur—the coloration of which can vary as widely as the ethnicities of other humanoid races.
Bahgra possess a cunning intelligence, but most regard them as little more than apex predators and savages.
Discovered by the krang, the bahgra never escaped the barbaric in-fighting of their planet, clashing repeatedly with off-world visitors and one another. When the krang finally established a peaceful truce with the dog folk and discovered they could learn more advanced concepts through sign language, they found themselves confronted with a significant choice— allow the Hegemony to enslave the bahgra, or quietly “uplift” them so they could rise to the laborer or soldier caste. Choosing the latter, the krang ultimately lacked the time and access to significantly shape bahgra society, and ultimately abandoned them when they defected. Though they convinced some of the dog folk to accompany them, the bahgra species had already spread to other worlds and many remained culturally contaminated by the Hegemony.
In time, however, some followed the example of the krang, striking off on their own to reestablish their independence and cultural identity.
Bahgra make excellent trackers, skilled laborers, and warriors, possessing a natural “team” instinct which makes them well-suited to construction and manufacturing. This trait also manifests during combat, as bahgra excel in pack-based tactics.
Bahgra are 5 feet tall and weigh 120 pounds.
- Ability Score Modifiers +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom, -2 Intelligence: Bahgra are tenacious and intuitive but have little use for academic study.
- Size: Bahgra are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Speed: Bahgra have a base speed of 30 feet.
- Senses: Bahgra can see twice as far as humans in dim light.
- Keen Senses: Bahgra have acute senses of hearing and smell, granting them a +2 racial bonus on Perception checks and a +4 bonus on Survival checks to track.
- Pack Attack: Bahgra gain Pack Attack as a bonus feat.
- Growling Speech: Bahgra can learn to read, write, and understand languages other than their own normally but have difficulty speaking and being understood in them. Creatures hearing them must succeed on a DC 15 Linguistics check or DC 20 Sense Motive check to understand their speech. Language-dependent effects they use automatically fail unless the opponent speaks Bahgra or the bahgra is using tongues or a similar effect.
Alien Codex © 2018, Legendary Games; Lead Designer: Jason Nelson. Authors: Anthony Adam, Kate Baker, John Bennet, Eytan Bernstein, Robert Brookes, Russ Brown, Duan Byrd, Paris Crenshaw, Jeff Dahl, Robyn Fields, Joel Flank, Matt Goodall, Robert J. Grady, Jim Groves, Steven T. Helt, Thurston Hillman, Tim Hitchcock, Nick Hite, Daniel Hunt, Mike Kimmel Marshall, Isabelle Lee, Jeff Lee, Lyz Liddell, Jason Nelson, Richard Pett, Tom Phillips, Jeff Provine, Alistair J. Rigg, Alex Riggs, Wendall Roy, Mike Shel, Neil Spicer, Todd Stewart, Russ Taylor, Rachel Ventura, Mike Welham, George Loki Williams, Scott Young.