You place a curse on the subject. Choose one of the following.
- -6 decrease to an ability score (minimum 1).
- -4 penalty on attack rolls, saves, ability checks, and skill checks.
- Each turn, the target has a 50% chance to act normally; otherwise, it takes no action.
You may also invent your own curse, but it should be no more powerful than those described above.
Bestow curse counters remove curse.
Source Pathfinder Adventure Path #82: Secrets of the Sphinx.
Greater bestow curse functions as above except with the following changes:
Choose one of the following.
- –12 penalty to an ability score, or –6 penalty to two ability scores (to a minimum ability score of 1).
- –8 penalty on attack rolls, saves, ability checks, and skill checks.
- Each turn, the target has a 25% chance to act normally; otherwise, it takes no actions.
- Bestow one of the curses or variants listed below.
- Bestow curse of the ages or unluck.
If a specific affliction is bestowed, the save DC of the spell replaces the usual save DC of the affliction. You can also invent your own curse, but it should be no more powerful than those described above.
The curse bestowed by this spell cannot be dispelled, but it can be removed with a break enchantment, limited wish, miracle, or wish spell. It cannot be removed with remove curse or suppressed with abeyance. The DC to remove the curse with break enchantment increases by 5.
Bestow curse allows the caster to invent a novel effect, but one no more powerful than those described in the spell itself (no worse than a 50% chance of losing actions, a –4 penalty on checks, or a –6 penalty to an ability score). Effects in line with that power level include the following.
- When the victim is adjacent to the area of a damaging spell or spell-like effect, the area expands to include the victim.
- The victim can’t heal naturally, and magical healing heals the victim by only half the usual amount (minimum 1 point). Fast healing and regeneration are likewise halved.
- Whenever the victim takes damage, he is staggered for 1 round.
- The victim is plagued by cacophonous sounds and strobing lights that only she can hear and see. She is distracted (+5 to Perception DCs), cannot take 10 on skill checks, and must succeed at a concentration check (DC 10 + spell level) to successfully cast spells.
- Anytime the victim picks up or retrieves an object (including drawing a weapon or ammunition), there is a 50% chance that he immediately drops it. If ammunition is dropped, the attack being made is lost. Any remaining attacks in a full attack action may still be attempted.