Note Some rare items are infused by the mighty deeds of their former owners, and an adventurer lucky enough to recover such items could unlock their hidden potential should their own exploits prove worthy. The following items work much like scaling items, save that each has a unique reward ability unlocked by attaining a goal related to the item’s original owner. These items represent famous possessions of specific historical individuals, so unlike typical magic items, they cannot be crafted, though they can still be destroyed normally.
Slot headband; CL 17th; Weight 1 lb.; Aura strong transmutation
The runic scrollwork that decorates this thick iron headband calls to mind the intricate tattoos of the dwarven caretakers of arcane libraries.
- 4th Level: The carved king’s band acts as a headband of vast intelligence +2 (granting skill ranks in Perception).
- 7th Level: Once per day when the wearer attempts a saving throw against a magical glyph, symbol, sigil, or similar written trap, as an immediate action, he can attempt a Spellcraft check against the same DC to dispel the effect.
- 10th Level: The carved king’s band acts as a headband of vast intelligence +4 (granting skill ranks in Knowledge [history] and Spellcraft).
- 13th Level: The DC and caster level of all spells with the earth descriptor that the wearer casts increase by 1.
- 15th Level: The carved king’s band acts as a headband of vast intelligence +6 (granting skill ranks in Knowledge [history], Sense Motive, and Spellcraft).
Goal: Prepare and cast 50 unique spells, at least three of which must be 8th-level or higher.
Reward: The wearer can spontaneously cast any spell with the earth descriptor from his spellbook by sacrificing a prepared spell of equal or higher level. He can apply any metamagic feats he has to this spell when he casts it. This increases the minimum level of the prepared spell sacrificed in order to cast it but does not affect the casting time.
Pathfinder Player Companion: Chronicle of Legends © 2019, Paizo Inc.; Authors: Calder CaDavid, Vanessa Hoskins, Mike Kimmel, Isabelle Lee, Matt Morris, Mikhail Rekun, and Michael Sayre.