Note Some rare items are infused by the mighty deeds of their former owners, and an adventurer lucky enough to recover such items could unlock their hidden potential should their own exploits prove worthy. The following items work much like scaling items, save that each has a unique reward ability unlocked by attaining a goal related to the item’s original owner. These items represent famous possessions of specific historical individuals, so unlike typical magic items, they cannot be crafted, though they can still be destroyed normally.
Slot wrist; CL 13th; Weight 1 lb.; Aura strong divination
Despite the fact that they are millennia old, these polished metal armbands, inlaid with intricate patterns in gold and platinum, are in remarkable condition.
Each of the bracers has one slot in which an ioun stone can be embedded. An ioun stone embedded in this manner grants the bearer its normal benefits as if it were orbiting her head and resonates its powers as if it were slotted in a wayfinder. Additionally, as long as at least one ioun stone is slotted into the bracers, the wearer can understand any written language, as per comprehend languages.
- 6th Level: The wearer gains a +2 competence bonus on Knowledge (arcana), Spellcraft, and Use Magic Device checks.
- 9th Level: The bracers act as spell storing bracers of armor.
- 12th Level: While at least one ioun stone is embedded in the bracers, the wearer can speak and understand any language, as per tongues.
- 15th Level: The wearer gains a +4 insight bonus on saving throws against language-dependent spells and effects and on saving throws against magical glyphs, symbols, sigils, or similar written traps.
- 18th Level: Twice per day, the wearer can temporarily drain the magic of one of the bracers’ embedded ioun stones to cast plane shift. After powering this ability, the ioun stone becomes inert for 24 hours and impossible to remove from the bracer.
Goal: Recover and identify 30 named texts or artifacts that were created more than 4,000 years before the present day. Recovering a major artifact counts as 3 artifacts toward the completion of this goal.
Reward: By handling a magic item for 1 minute, the wearer can identify its properties and command word as if she had successfully examined the item using detect magic and succeeded at a Spellcraft check. This ability does not reveal whether the item is cursed unless the wearer’s character level is equal to or greater than the caster level of the item.
Pathfinder Player Companion: Chronicle of Legends © 2019, Paizo Inc.; Authors: Calder CaDavid, Vanessa Hoskins, Mike Kimmel, Isabelle Lee, Matt Morris, Mikhail Rekun, and Michael Sayre.