While most investigators are well versed in the knowledge of poisons, the toxin codexer has made it a way of life. He meticulously seeks out new poisons and catalogs their effects, both those that are harmful and those that are potentially beneficial. A toxin codexer’s detailed understanding of how his toxins work allows him to blend them with exact precision, creating even more deadly venoms or providing painful medicines for those in need.
Poison Lore (Ex)
Synthetic Venom (Ex)
When a toxin codexer prepares his extracts, he can use his slots to prepare short-lived poisons instead of extracts. The following poisons can be prepared into extract slots: 1st—arsenic, giant wasp poison, medium spider venom; 2nd—black adder venom, id moss, striped toadstool; 3rd— blue whinnis, lich dust, sassone leaf residue; 4th—dark reaver powder, purple worm poison, third eye; 5th—deathblade, hemlock, witch-hunter’s sword; 6th—black lotus extract, dragon bile, king’s sleep.
Additional poison selections can be added to this list with GM approval.
The Fortitude save DC of these poisons is 10 + the toxin codexer’s Intelligence modifier + the extract level of the poison. Poisons created in this way are unstable and become inert after 1 day if not used. Once the poison is administered to a target, the duration is as normal for that poison’s type, even if longer than 1 day. These poisons can be applied to weapons (if applicable) only by the toxin codexer, unless he has the infusion alchemist discovery.
Modify Toxin (Ex)
At 3rd level, a toxin codexer learns to unlock both the beneficial and detrimental side effects of his poisons. These effects apply even if the target succeeds at her save against the poison, but they still count as poison effects. A modified toxin becomes inert if not used within 1 hour.
As a move action, the toxin codexer can expend one use of inspiration to apply one of the following effects to a poison in his possession, choosing either the benefit or the detriment when an effect has both options. These effects last for a number of rounds equal to the investigator’s Intelligence modifier unless otherwise stated.
- Grant a +2 alchemical bonus or impose a –2 alchemical penalty on saving throws against exhaustion, fatigue, and sleep effects.
- Grant a +4 alchemical bonus or impose a –4 alchemical penalty on saving throws against effects with the pain descriptor.
At 6th level, the toxin codexer can also choose from the following effects:
- Affect a target so the first time she takes damage each round, she takes an additional 1d6 points of nonlethal damage. This is a pain effect.
- Inflict or remove the fatigued condition.
At 9th level, the toxin codexer can also choose from the following effects:
- Deal 1 point of bleed damage or cure any ongoing bleed effects.
- Cure one disease or poison whose save DC does not exceed that of the modified poison. This has no effect on magical curses, diseases, or poisons.
At 12th level, the toxin codexer can also choose from the following effects:
- Cure one magical disease or poison whose save DC does not exceed that of the modified poison.
- Bestow a 30% spell failure chance on a target.
This replaces keen recollection and trap sense.
Pathfinder Player Companion: Potions & Poisons © 2017, Paizo Inc.; Authors: Kate Baker, Eleanor Ferron, Nathan King, Lyz Liddell, Luis Loza, Alex Putnam, Alex Riggs, and David Schwartz.