Creatures that mix serpentine and humanoid features, lamias are gifted with powerful magic that runs through their very blood. They are known as temptresses and seducers of men through their beauty and power, and often serve as mentors, advisers and arcane experts among the Mythical.
Lamias have a long, serpentine tail ending in a humanoid body from the waist up, invariably a beautiful, voluptuous female. While lamias do have claws on their hands and snake-like fangs in their mouths, their beauty is still unparalleled. Lamias are exclusively female but can breed with more or less any being of generally humanoid shape and close to their size, having a mixed method of reproduction that makes them lay eggs that hatch into a baby lamia that will require cares usually associated with viviparous reproduction. Because of this great variability in the nature of their male parent, lamias can inherit many different traits when it comes to the pigmentation of hair, skin, eyes, and scales, and sometimes even more extreme changes such as having small horns, pointy ears, or other features that may give away her origins.
- Hit Die: a lamia uses a d6 as Hit Die at every lamia HD she gains.
- Ability Score Modifiers: a lamia’s tail leaves her mobility hampered, but they have great reserves of magical and physical energy. They gain –2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, and +2 Charisma.
- Size: lamias are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties coming from their size.
- Type: lamias are monstrous humanoids.
- Base Speed: lamias have a base land speed of 30 feet.
- Languages: lamias begin play speaking Common. Lamias with high Intelligence scores can choose any language they want (except secret languages, such as Druidic). See the Linguistics skill page for more information about these languages.
- Terrain: urban.
- Saving Throws: Charisma-based.
- Starting Wealth: 2d6 × 10 gp (average 70gp.) In addition, each character begins play with an outfit worth 10 gp or less.
- Dual-Minded: lamias gain a +2 bonus on all Will saving throws.
- Hardy: lamias gain a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison, spells, and spell-like abilities.
- Mythical Resistance: lamias are immune to illusion In particular, lamias suffer no ill effect from illusions that target them and automatically succeed in saving throws to disbelieve illusions. A lamia always knows whether what her senses perceive is altered by an illusion or not, but they have no particular ways to understand what is under the illusion: for example, a lamia would notice that there is an invisible creature in her field of vision, but she cannot know what is the creature’s nature beneath the spell, nor would she lose the penalties to attack or target such a creature. A lamia can benefit from harmless illusion spells, such as invisibility. The quasi-real nature of shadow evocation and similar spells allow them to partially affect a lamia, though she always takes the lessened damage.
- Natural Armor: lamias gain a +3 natural armor bonus to their Armor Class.
- Serpentine Body: a lamia cannot be tripped.
- Urbanite: lamias gain a +2 racial bonus on Diplomacy checks made to gather information and Sense Motive checks made to get a hunch about a social situation.
- Arcane Focus: lamias gain a +2 racial bonus on concentration checks made to cast arcane spells defensively.
- Seducer: lamias add +1 to the saving throw DCs for their spells and spell-like abilities of the enchantment In addition, lamias race with a Wisdom score of 15 or higher gain the following spell-like ability (the caster level is equal to the lamia’s Hit Dice):
- 1/day – charm person.
- Bite: lamias gain a natural bite attack, dealing 1d3 points of piercing damage. The bite is a primary attack, or a secondary attack if the lamia is wielding manufactured weapons.
- Claws: lamias receive two claws attacks. These are primary natural attacks that deal 1d4 points of slashing damage.
- Toxic (Ex): A number of times per day equal to their Constitution modifier (minimum 1/day), lamias can envenom a weapon that they wield with their toxic saliva. Applying venom in this way is a swift action.
- Darkvision: lamias can see in the dark up to 60 feet.
Skill Ranks per Level: 2+ Int Modifier
|Level||Hit Die||Base Attack Bonus||Fort Save||Ref Save||Will Save||Special||Spells per Day|
|1st||1||+0||+0||+0||+2||[Feat], Bloodline power, cantrips, entwined blood, eschew materials||3||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|3rd||3||+1||+1||+1||+3||[Feat], Bloodline power, bloodline spell||5||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|4th||4||+2||+1||+1||+4||[Ability Score Increase]||6||3||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|5th||5||+2||+1||+1||+4||[Feat], Bloodline spell, secondary bloodline spell||6||4||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|6th||6||+3||+2||+2||+5||Secondary bloodline power||6||5||3||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|7th||7||+3||+2||+2||+5||[Feat], Bloodline feat, bloodline spell||6||6||4||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|8th||8||+4||+2||+2||+6||[Ability Score Increase], Secondary bloodline spell||6||6||5||3||—||—||—||—||—|
|9th||9||+4||+3||+3||+6||[Feat], Bloodline power, bloodline spell||6||6||6||4||—||—||—||—||—|
|12th||11||+5||+3||+3||+7||[Feat], Bloodline spell, secondary bloodline power, secondary bloodline spell||6||6||6||6||4||—||—||—||—|
|13th||12||+6/+1||+4||+4||+8||[Ability Score Increase]||6||6||6||6||5||3||—||—||—|
|14th||13||+6/+1||+4||+4||+8||[Feat], Bloodline feat, bloodline spell||6||6||6||6||6||4||—||—||—|
|15th||14||+7/+2||+4||+4||+9||Secondary bloodline spell||6||6||6||6||6||5||3||—||—|
|16th||15||+7/+2||+5||+5||+9||[Feat], Bloodline feat, bloodline spell||6||6||6||6||6||6||4||—||—|
|17th||16||+8/+3||+5||+5||+10||[Ability Score Increase]||6||6||6||6||6||6||5||3||—|
|18th||17||+8/+3||+5||+5||+10||[Feat], Bloodline Spell, secondary bloodline spell||6||6||6||6||6||6||6||4||—|
|19th||18||+9/+4||+6||+6||+11||Secondary bloodline power||6||6||6||6||6||6||6||5||3|
|20th||19||+9/+4||+6||+6||+11||[Feat], Bloodline feat, bloodline spell||6||6||6||6||6||6||6||6||4|
All of the following are class features of the lamia.
|Hit Dice||Spells Known|
A lamia casts arcane spells drawn primarily from the sorcerer/wizard spell list. She can cast any spell she knows without preparing it ahead of time. To learn or cast a spell, a lamia must have a Charisma score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a lamia’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the lamia’s Charisma modifier.
Like other spellcasters, a lamia can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. Her base daily spell allotment is given on TABLE: Lamia Spells per Day. In addition, she receives bonus spells per day if she has a high Charisma score.
A lamia’s selection of spells is extremely limited. A lamia begins play knowing four 0-level spells and two 1st-level spells of her choice. At each new lamia Hit Die, she gains one or more new spells, as indicated in TABLE: Lamia Spells Known. Unlike spells per day, the number of spells a lamia knows is not affected by her Charisma score; the numbers on the table are fixed.
Upon reaching 4th Hit Die, and at every even-numbered lamia Hit Die after that, a lamia can choose to learn a new spell in place of one she already knows. In effect, the lamia loses the old spell in exchange for the new one. The new spell’s level must be the same as that of the spell being exchanged. A lamia may swap only a single spell at any given Hit Die, and must choose whether or not to swap the spell at the same time that she gains new spells known for the level.
Unlike a wizard or cleric a lamia need not prepare her spells in advance. She can cast any spell she knows at any time, assuming she has not yet used up her spells per day for that spell level.
Lamias learn a number of cantrips, or 0-level spells, as noted on TABLE: Lamia Spells Known. These spells are cast like any other spell, but they do not consume any slots and may be used again.
A lamia inherits a source of magic that grants her spells, bonus feats, an additional class skill, and other special abilities. This influence manifests in a number of ways as she gains levels. Unlike what happens to sorcerers, a lamia always inherits some of the nature of both her parents. As such, every lamia has the serpentine bloodline, and can choose also another bloodline which to draw power from, depending on the nature of her father. Either bloodline (her choice) is her primary bloodline, while the other is her secondary bloodline. A lamia gains the bloodline arcana and additional class skill from both her bloodlines.
A lamia gains the powers of her primary bloodline that would be available to a sorcerer with level equal to her Hit Dice.
At 3rd Hit Die, and every two Hit Dice thereafter, a lamia learns an additional spell, derived from her primary bloodline. These spells are in addition to the number of spells given on the table above. These spells cannot be exchanged for different spells at higher levels.
At 7th Hit Die, and every six Hit Dice thereafter, a lamia receives a bonus feat, chosen from the combined lists of those available for both her bloodlines. The lamia must meet the prerequisites for these bonus feats. [Sorcerer – Bloodline]
At 6th Hit Die and every 6 Hit Dice thereafter, the lamia can choose any power from her secondary bloodline a sorcerer 3 levels lower than her Hit Dice would have access to and gain that power. Also, the effects of these secondary powers treat the lamia as a sorcerer 3 levels lower than her Hit Dice.
At 5th Hit Die and for every 3 Hit Dice after 5th, a lamia obtains a spell from her secondary bloodline, choosing any spell up to a level that a sorcerer 4 levels lower than her Hit Dice would have access to. These spells’ caster level is 4 levels lower than the lamia’s Hit Dice.
At 1st Advancement Tier, a lamia can mix spells together as a full-round action, casting two spells at the same target and at the same time. Doing so uses up a slot two levels above the higher-level spell cast in this way and, in order to use this ability, at least one of the spells must have been obtained through a bloodline. These spells cannot be of the same level, nor can they have a casting time longer than a standard action. Furthermore, all the normal requirements for casting these spells must be met (focus, range, and so on). The target’s spell resistance applies only once for both effects, if applicable. Both spells have a +2 bonus on their save DC and caster level (the target saves from each effect separately).
Of Stranger Bonds, © 2019, Alessandro Passera