This strange ghostly creature seems to writhe in the throes of some uncontrollable emotion.
Unfettered Phantom CR 4
AC 18, touch 14, flat-footed 14 (+3 Dex, +1 dodge, +4 natural) or AC 18, touch 18, flat-footed 14 (+3 Dex, +4 deflection, +1 dodge) when incorporeal
hp 42 (5d10+15)
Fort +7, Ref +4, Will +4
DR 5/slashing; Immune mind-affecting effects
Speed 35 ft.
Melee 2 slams +8 (1d8+3)
Special Attacks phantasmagoric slam (anger)
Str 16, Dex 16, Con 17, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 13
Base Atk +5; CMB +8; CMD 21
Feats Dodge, Fleet, Power Attack, Run B
Skills Acrobatics +11, Fly +11, Intimidate +9, Perception +8, Sense Motive +8, Stealth +11
SQ incorporeal step
When an unfettered phantom moves more than 5 feet, it becomes incorporeal until it stops moving.
An unfettered phantom’s attacks are considered magic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction. Its slams have an additional effect based on its emotional focus. Each phantom has one of the following emotional foci. This phantom’s emotional focus is anger, and is already reflected in the statistics above. The DCs for the slam’s effects are Charisma-based.
- Anger: An anger unfettered phantom’s slam attack deals damage equal to 1d8 + its Strength modifier instead of the normal amount of damage (1d6 + its Strength modifier).
- Dedication: When a dedication unfettered phantom hits a creature with its slam attack, it gains a +2 bonus to its AC against that creature for 1 round. If the unfettered phantom hits the same creature multiple times, this bonus stacks.
- Despair: A creature hit by a despair unfettered phantom’s slam attack must succeed at a Will saving throw (DC 13) or take a –2 penalty on attack rolls and damage rolls for 1 round.
- Fear: A creature hit by a fear unfettered phantom’s slam attack must succeed at a DC 13 Will saving throw or become shaken for 1d4 rounds.
- Hatred: A hatred unfettered phantom gains a +1 bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls with its slam attack against the creature that most recently harmed it.
- Jealousy: A jealousy unfettered phantom gains sneak attack +1d6 when using its slam attack.
- Zeal: A zeal unfettered phantom’s slam attack has a critical threat range of 19–20 and a critical multiplier of ×3.
Willful fugitives of the Negative Energy Plane’s dread gravity, phantoms are escaped souls of humanoid creatures in desperate search of a psychically attuned being with whom to merge—such a merger creates a spiritualist.
Every phantom harbors a strong emotion that tears it from the normal path of souls seeking final judgment and reward. This dominant emotion empowers the phantom’s slam attack and can manifest in more potent forms when this creature merges with a spiritualist, but it also serves as a weight that drags the phantom into the Ethereal Plane and toward the Negative Energy Plane. Until an unfettered phantom finds a refuge, it is a frantic and shifting thing, a desperate creature of raw emotion and need.
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Bestiary 5 © 2015, Paizo Inc.; Authors: Dennis Baker, Jesse Benner, John Bennett, Logan Bonner, Creighton Broadhurst, Robert Brookes, Benjamin Bruck, Jason Bulmahn, Adam Daigle, Thurston Hillman, Eric Hindley, Joe Homes, James Jacobs, Amanda Hamon Kunz, Ben McFarland, Jason Nelson, Thom Phillips, Stephen Radney-MacFarland, Alistair Rigg, Alex Riggs, David N. Ross, Wes Schneider, David Schwartz, Mark Seifter, Mike Shel, James L. Sutter, and Linda Zayas-Palmer.