This hideously formed humanoid covered with bluish green scales stands roughly taller than a man. A large flap of skin forms a cobra-like hood that runs from the back of the head, halfway down the spine. Its eyes burn like crimson embers and its long forked tongue flickers. But the creature’s most unnerving features are its hands which end in viper heads complete with sharp fangs that drip with venom.
Cobra-Back Inphidian CR 3
Str 16, Dex 17, Con 15, Int 12, Wis 13, Cha 12
Base Atk +5; CMB +8; CMD 21
Feats Alertness, Great Fortitude, Weapon Focus (snake-hand bites)
Skills Acrobatics +8, Craft (alchemy) +9, Perception +11, Sense Motive +8, Stealth +11
Languages Aklo, Common, Inphidian
Once every 1d4 rounds, a cobra-back can spit a line of inphidian poison from its mouth to a range of 20 feet.
Cobra-Back Inphidian Characters
- +6 Strength, +6 Dexterity, +4 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma. Quick and deadly, cobra-backed inphidians make highly efficient warriors.
- Racial Hit Dice: a cobra-back inphidian begins with five levels of monstrous humanoid, which provide 5d8 HD, a base attack bonus of +5, base save bonuses of Fort +1, Ref +4, Will +4.
- Racial Skills: a cobra-back’s monstrous humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 5 x (4 + Int modifier).
- Racial Feats: a cobra-back’s monstrous humanoid levels give it three feats
- AC: +5 natural AC bonus.
- Special Attacks: poison, spit poison
See Inphidians for more details on playable inphidians.
Environment warm forests and plains or underground
Organization solitary or troupe (1 cobra-back plus 3-5 common inphidians)
Cobra-backs are a race of inphidian bred for combat and they relish the savagery of such events. They bully others of their own kind, and can often be found leading common inphidians on hunting excursions. They primarily function as muscle in inphidian hunting or adventuring parties and serve in inphidian communities as guards and protectors. Cobra- backs are loyal and follow orders without question.
When threatened or enraged, the hood of the cobra-back fans open just like that of a true cobra.
Cobra-backs are extremely aggressive and prone to attacking opponents on sight. Though they possess superb stealth skills, they prefer a straight-ahead fight rather than one that relies on trickery and guile.
A cobra-back opens combat by spitting its poison at an opponent before moving into melee where it bites with its snake-hands. Of all the inphidians, the cobra-backs are the most likely to employ inphidian gauntlets. Those wearing inphidian gauntlets wield longswords or spears.
Cobra-Back Inphidian from the Tome of Horrors Complete, Copyright 2011, Necromancer Games, Inc., published and distributed by Frog God Games; Author Scott Greene.