This creature is a mix of different animals fused together, with a bear’s torso and head, clawed ape legs, and a furred tentacle arm.
AC 18, touch 8, flat-footed 18 (+10 natural, –2 size)
hp 84 (8d10+40); fast healing 5
Fort +11, Ref +6, Will +4; +4 vs. mind-affecting effects
Defensive Abilities fortification (50%); DR 5/—; Immune nauseated, sickened; SR 18
Weaknesses polymorph susceptibility
Str 23, Dex 10, Con 21, Int 2, Wis 11, Cha 8
Base Atk +8; CMB +16; CMD 26
Feats Blind-Fight, Cleave, Iron Will, Power Attack
Skills Climb +11, Perception +7, Swim +11
SQ maker’s gift (grab and constrict)
Each yaoguai gains one additional ability that is based on its specific form. Typical additional yaoguai abilities include the following.
- Flight: The yaoguai gains a fly speed of 30 feet (clumsy).
- Grab and Constrict: The yaoguai’s tentacle attack gains grab and constrict. The creature’s constrict damage is equal to its slam damage plus its Strength bonus.
- Poison: One claw or tentacle attack is replaced with a sting attack (same damage as the replaced attack) plus poison.
Poison Sting—injury; save Fort DC 19; frequency 1/round for 6 rounds; effect 1d2 Strength damage; cure 1 save. The save DC is Constitution-based.
- Pounce and Rake: The yaoguai gains pounce and rake (2 claws +14, 1d8+7).
- Quills: A creature attacking the yaoguai with a melee weapon, an unarmed strike, or a natural weapon takes 1d8+7 points of piercing damage from the yaoguai’s quills. Melee weapons with reach do not endanger their users in this way.
- Trample: The yaoguai gains a trample attack that deals an amount of damage equal to its claw damage plus 1-1/2 times its Strength modifier.
A yaoguai is immune to polymorph effects or effects that otherwise change its shape, but the attempt to alter its shape causes it great pain and it must attempt a saving throw if the effect allows it. If it fails its save or the effect doesn’t allow a saving throw, the yaoguai is staggered and loses its damage reduction and fast healing for 1d4 rounds.
Environment any land
A yaoguai is a monstrosity born of unnatural magic that combines several creatures into one body, creating a deformed, mismatched monster that slays and escapes its creator as soon as possible. No two yaoguai look the same, but most have similar abilities. Invariably, the torment of its genesis and the ongoing pain of its existence leave a yaoguai violently insane and prone to attacking at the slightest provocation.
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Bestiary 4 © 2013, Paizo Publishing, LLC; Authors: Dennis Baker, Jesse Benner, Savannah Broadway, Ross Byers, Adam Daigle, Tim Hitchcock, Tracy Hurley, James Jacobs, Matt James, Rob McCreary, Jason Nelson, Tom Phillips, Stephen Radney-MacFarland, Sean K Reynolds, F. Wesley Schneider, Tork Shaw, and Russ Taylor.