This powerful creature resembles a gorilla with thick, brownish-black fur. Its face is white and its eyes are brown. Its mouth is lined with rows of sharp teeth with the canines being slightly longer than the rest. Its hands end in wickedly sharp black nails.
Reigon CR 4
Speed 30 ft., climb 30 ft.
Melee bite +8 (1d8+4), 2 claws +8 (1d6+4), or club +8 (1d8+4), bite +3 (1d8+2)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft.
Psi-like Abilities (ML 4th)
Reigons attack from ambush, using their chameleon psi-like ability to hide and wait for their targets to wander close by. Once in range, a reigon leaps to the attack, slashing and biting with its claws (though occasionally, a reigon employs a club). If an opponent isn’t killed immediately it is assaulted in the following rounds by a barrage of psi-like abilities, most notably a reigon’s mind thrust or concussion blast.
Slain prey is dragged or carried back to the reigon’s lair and either stored for later consumption or distributed among the other reigon’s in the lair.
Environment temperate and cold forests
Organization solitary, gang (2-5), band (2-5), or tribe (1 leader of 3rd-5th level, 3 wardens of of 1st-2nd level, 10-30 reigons plus 100% noncombatants)
A reigon is an aggressive predatory biped that dwells in dark forests away from general civilization, but not so far away that a small band of these creatures can’t go out hunting in the night hours. A reigon’s diet consists of berries, plants, forest game (both large and small), and sometimes humanoids (particularly if a supply, such as a small town or village, is readily available).
Reigons are tribal, territorial, and never associate with creatures outside their own tribe or family (including other reigons). If two reigon tribes move into the same area, a small war usually ensues with the victor claiming rights to the area and any survivors of the defeated side moving on to greener pastures. If a common threat presents itself however, reigon tribes will band together in order to remove said threat before each tribe goes its own way.
A reigon tribe makes its home in thickly wooded areas usually well hidden and out of the way, but fairly close to a natural source of water. Once seated, a tribe rarely moves, unless a new tribe moves into the area and forces them to flee or food and water become extremely scarce. Reigon lairs are simple wooden structures covered with bark, cloth, leaves, and vines.
A reigon stands about 8 feet tall and weighs around 600 pounds. Its entire body, save for its face and palms are covered in thick fur. A reigon generally lives for about 40 years with young reaching maturity around 4 to 6 years of age.
Reigons speak their own guttural language consisting of grunts, growls, and howls.
Reigon leaders are usually psychic warriors or fighters. Reigon characters possess the following racial traits.
- +8 Strength, +4 Dexterity, +6 Constitution, +2 Wisdom: Reigon are strong, brutal, fast and fearless.
- Large: Reigon are Large creatures and take -1 penalty to their AC, -1 penalty on attack rolls, -4 penalty on Stealth checks, +1 size bonus CMB and CMD, and their lifting and carrying limits are double those of Medium characters. Space/Reach 10 ft./10 ft.
- Climb: 30 ft.
- Darkvision: Reigon can see in the dark up 120 feet.
- Lowlight Vision: Reigon can see twice as far as humans in dim lighting. Scent
- Tough Hide: A reigon’s thick fur and skin give it a +4 natural armor bonus.
- Hit Dice: A reigon begins with 5 levels of magical beast which provide 5d10 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +5, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +4, Ref +4, and Will +1. Power Resistance 15
- Natural Weapons: Claw (1d6), bite (1d8).
- Skills: A reigon’s magical beast levels give it skill points equal to 2 x (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1).
- Feats: A reigon’s magical beast levels give it two feats.
- Psi-like abilities: At will—chameleon; 3/day—mental barrier, mindthrust, defensive precognition; 1/day—concussion blast
- Languages: A reigon begins play speaking Reigon. Reigon with high Intelligence scores can choose any of these bonus languages: Common, Sylvan, Goblin, Terran.
Reigon from the Tome of Horrors Complete, Copyright 2011, Necromancer Games, Inc., published and distributed by Frog God Games; Author Scott Greene.