This lean, simian humanoid is covered in a layer of soft, lightly colored fur and has a long, prehensile tail.
Vanara CR 1/2
Str 13, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 17, Cha 6
Base Atk +0; CMB +1; CMD 18
Feats Combat ReflexesB, Dodge, Improved Unarmed StrikeB, Stunning FistB
Skills Acrobatics +9, Climb +13, Perception +7, Sense Motive +7, Stealth +9; Racial Modifiers +2 Acrobatics, +2 Stealth
Languages Common, Sylvan, Vanaran
SQ prehensile tail
All vanaras have long, flexible tails that they can use to carry objects. They cannot wield weapons with their tails, but the tails do allow them to retrieve small stowed objects carried on their persons as a swift action.
Vanaras are defined by their class levels—they do not possess racial Hit Dice. All vanaras have the following racial traits.
- +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma: Vanaras are agile and insightful, but are also rather mischievous.
- Climb Speed: Vanaras have a climb speed of 20 feet.
- Low-Light Vision: Vanaras can see twice as far as a human in conditions of dim light.
- Nimble: Vanaras have a +2 racial bonus on Acrobatics and Stealth checks.
- Prehensile Tail (Ex): All vanaras have long, flexible tails that they can use to carry objects. They cannot wield weapons with their tails, but the tails do allow them to retrieve small stowed objects carried on their persons as a swift action.
- Languages: A vanara begins play speaking both Common and Vanaran. Vanaras with high Int scores can choose from among the following bonus languages: Aklo, Celestial, Elven, Gnome, Goblin, and Sylvan.
Environment any forests
Organization solitary, pair, party, (3-6), or community (7-100)
Treasure NPC gear (quarterstaff)
Vanaras are intelligent, simian humanoids who live in deep forests and jungles. They are both agile and clever, but saddled with boundless curiosity and a love of pranks that, while normally harmless, hinder ingratiations with those they encounter. A vanara’s body is covered in a thin coat of soft fur, and individuals with chestnut, ivory, and even golden coats are common. Despite its fur, a vanara can grow lengthy hair on its head just like a human, and both male and female vanaras take pains to wear elaborate hairstyles for important social functions. The hair on a vanara’s head matches the color of its fur. All vanaras have long, prehensile tails and handlike feet capable of well-articulated movements. A vanara stands slightly shorter than a typical human. Males weigh from 150 to 200 pounds at most, with females weighing slightly less. Vanaras live for 60 to 75 years.
Vanaras live in large, tree-top villages connected by rope-bridges and ladders. Homes are carved out of trees but usually left open to the elements except for woven leaf canopies and overhangs. Vanara villages are typically led by the community’s religious leader—usually a cleric, oracle, or monk.