Svirfneblin ranger 1
N Small humanoid (gnome)
Init +2; Senses darkvision 120 ft., low-light vision; Perception +6
AC 15, touch 15, flat-footed 11 (+2 Dex, +2 dodge, +1 size)
hp 15 (1d10+5)
Fort +6, Ref +6, Will +2
Speed 20 ft. (15 ft. in armor)
Melee heavy pick +3 (1d4+1/×4)
Ranged light crossbow +4 (1d6/19–20)
Special Attacks favored enemy (dwarf +2), +1 to attack vs. dwarven and reptilian humanoids
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 1st)
1/day—blindness/deafness (DC 12), blur, disguise self
Base Atk +1; CMB +1; CMD 15
Skills Craft (alchemy) +6, Heal +4, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +4, Perception +6, Stealth +12 (+14 underground), Survival +4 (+5 tracking); Racial Modifiers +2 Craft (alchemy), +2 Perception, +2 Stealth (+4 Stealth underground)
Languages Gnome, Undercommon
SQ stonecunning, track, wild empathy +0
- –2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom, –4 Charisma: Svirfneblin are fast and observant, but relatively weak and emotionally distant.
- Small: Svirfneblin are Small creatures and gain a +1 size bonus to their AC, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –1 penalty to their CMB and CMD, and a +4 size bonus on Stealth checks.
- Defensive Training: Svirfneblin gain a +2 dodge bonus to Armor Class.
- Senses: Svirfneblin have darkvision 120 ft. and low-light vision.
- Fortunate: Svirfneblin gain a +2 racial bonus on all saving throws.
- Skilled: Svirfneblin gain a +2 racial bonus on Stealth checks; this improves to a +4 bonus underground. They gain a +2 racial bonus on Craft (alchemy) checks and Perception checks.
- Hatred: Svirfneblin receive a +1 bonus on attack rolls against humanoid creatures of the reptilian and dwarven subtypes due to training against these hated foes.
- Stonecunning: Svirfneblin gain stonecunning as a dwarf.
- Spell Resistance: Svirfneblin have SR equal to 11 + class levels.
- Svirfneblin Magic: Svirfneblin add +1 to the DC of any illusion spells they cast. Svirfneblin also gain the spell-like abilities listed above; caster level equals the svirfneblin’s class levels.
- Languages: Svirfneblin begin play speaking Gnome and Undercommon. Those with high Int scores can choose from the following bonus languages: Aklo, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Orc, or Terran.
Environment any underground
Organization solitary, company (2–4), squad (5–20 plus 1 leader of 3rd–6th level and 2 sergeants of 3rd level), or band (30–50 plus 1 sergeant of 3rd level per 20 adults, 5 lieutenants of 5th level, 3 captains of 7th level, and 2–5 Medium earth elementals)
Treasure NPC Gear (heavy pick, light crossbow with 10 bolts, other treasure)
Svirfneblin, or “deep gnomes,” are a reclusive offshoot of the gnome race. They dwell underground in hidden cities, safe from dark elves and other subterranean races. They have skin the color of gray or brown stone. Males are bald, and females have stringy gray hair. A svirfneblin’s ties to the eerie realm of the fey are much stronger than those of their surface-dwelling gnome kin, and this makes them either strangely detached from their emotions or violently random in their outbursts. Svirfneblin have long fought wars against the duergar, and have a difficult time seeing the difference between duergar and other dwarves.