Monstrous black-feathered wings cloak this leanly muscled, onyx-skinned humanoid.
Strix CR 1/3
Speed 30 ft., fly 60 ft. (average)
Melee spear +2 (1d8+1/×3)
Special Attacks hatred
Str 12, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 8, Wis 11, Cha 7
Base Atk +1; CMB +2; CMD 14
Feats Improved Initiative
Skills Fly +6; Racial Modifiers +2 Perception and +2 Stealth in dim light or darkness
Languages Common, Strix
Environment temperate mountains
Organization solitary, hunting party (3–6), war party (5–12), or tribe (22 plus 100% noncombatants plus 1 champion of 2nd level per 10 adults, 1 or 2 seers of 3rd or 4th level, and 1 leader of 5th–7th level)
Treasure NPC gear
Strix fiercely defend both land and air in their mountain territories. deadly but wise, strix would prefer to live quietly, yet time and tradition have taught them the wingless peoples of the shores and lowlands cannot be trusted, and that only fear and bloodshed Will protect their homes. Fortunately, the strix excel in this regard.
Strix have learned to hate humans. Although the source of this hatred is unclear to all but the strix, it most likely comes from centuries of bloody invasions into their lands, disastrous first encounters, or an even older grudge.
On average, strix stand just over 6 feet tall, with males and females being roughly the same size. Sharply pointed ears, pupilless eyes, and slitted nostrils distinguish the race, though their 12-foot wingspans prove most distinctive. An adult strix weighs around 170 pounds. Most strix live to be about 40 years old, with the eldest reaching ages of up to 60.
The strix’s territory is limited to strange rock spurs and unnaturally deep crevasses. Those brave or foolish enough to advance soon encounter dozens of perched strix warriors glaring with tilted heads and squatting just out of arrow range. Before flying away, the winged humanoids verbally assault the invaders in the Strix tongue, something more akin to an eagle screeching than a cultured language, and prepare to release a barrage of boulders down the cliffs to sweep flightless enemies off the spires to their deaths.
Strix are defined by their class levels—they do not possess racial Hit Dice. All strix have the following racial traits.
- +2 Dexterity, –2 Charisma: Strix are swift and elusive, but tend to be stubborn and swift to anger.
- Flight: Strix have a fly speed of 60 feet (average).
- Low-Light Vision: Strix can see twice as far as humans in conditions of dim light.
- Darkvision: Strix can see in the dark up to 60 feet.
- Hatred: Strix receive a +1 bonus on attack rolls against humanoid creatures of the human subtype due to special training against these hated foes.
- Nocturnal: Strix gain a +2 racial bonus on Perception and Stealth checks in dim light or darkness.
- Suspicious: Strix receive a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against illusion spells or effects.
- Languages: Strix begin play speaking Strix. Those with high Intelligence scores can choose any of the following bonus languages: Auran, Common, Draconic, Giant, Gnome, Goblin, Infernal
Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Inner Sea World Guide. © 2011, Paizo Publishing, LLC; Authors: Keith Baker, Wolfgang Baur, Clinton J. Boomer, Jason Bulmahn, Joshua J. Frost, Ed Greenwood, Stephen S. Greer, Jeff Grubb, James Jacobs, Michael Kortes, Tito Leati, Mike McArtor, Rob McCreary, Erik Mona, Jason Eric Nelson, Jeff Quick, Sean K Reynolds, F. Wesley Schneider, Leandra Christine Schneider, David Schwartz, Amber E. Scott, Stan!, Owen K.C. Stephens, Todd Stewart, James L. Sutter, Greg A. Vaughan, Jeremy Walker, and JD Wiker.