Neanderthal (CR 1)
AC 17, touch 12, flat-footed 15 (+4 armor, +2 Dex, +1 natural)
hp 23 (2d10+12)
Fort +5, Ref +2, Will +1; +2 vs. illusions or enchantments
Speed 30 ft. (20 ft. in hide armor)
Melee greatclub +5 (1d10+4)
Ranged spear +4 (1d8+3)
Special Attacks hatred
Str 17, Dex 14, Con 17, Int 8, Wis 12, Cha 10
Base Atk +2; CMB +5; CMD 17
Feats Great Fortitude, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (greatclub)
Skills Intimidate +4, Survival +2
SQ hardy, mental fortitude
Environment warm forests, mountains, and hills
Organization solitary, group (2-4), or clan (10-40)
Treasure greatclub, hide armor, 3 spears, leather sack, assorted bones, shells, and uncut gems worth 1d20 gp.
Neanderthals (also sometimes called “cavemen”) have squat bodies with large bones and powerful muscles. Their faces have ape-like features, including large brows above the eyes.
Neanderthals are friendly toward dwarves and gnomes, but hate goblins and kobolds, and will attack ogres on sight. Neanderthals are shy and will avoid humans, but are not usually hostile unless they are attacked. Neanderthals live in family groups in caves and caverns. They usually fight with thrown spears and use stone axes, clubs, or stone hammers in hand-to-hand combat.
Neanderthals are usually warriors or fighters, with the occasional barbarian or ranger. Spellcasting neanderthals are usually sorcerers, and are extremely rare.
Neanderthals are defined by their character classes; they do not have racial hit dice. Neanderthals have the following racial modifiers.
- +2 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence.
- Medium size Neanderthals have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Normal Speed A Neanderthal’s base land speed is 30 feet.
- Hardy Neanderthals begin play with +6 hit points.
- Low-light vision Neanderthals can see twice as far as humans in conditions of dim light.
- Natural Armor Neanderthals have tough skin and thick bones, which give them a +1 natural armor bonus.
- Hatred Neanderthals receive a +1 bonus on attack rolls against goblins, kobolds, and ogres.
- Mental Fortitude Neanderthals gain a +2 racial bonus to save throws against illusions or enchantments.
- Languages Neanderthals begin play speaking Common. Neanderthals with high Intelligence scores can choose any language they want (except secret languages, such as Druidic.)
Converted by CleverSignature