This creature resembles a bipedal-like humanoid with dusky russet and brown fur. Its eyes are yellow and it wears dented and battleworn scaled armor.
Flind CR 2 (XP 600)
(*The original text indicated 1d6 damage but the flindbar as defined in Monster Codex deals 1d8 damage or 1d6 vs. small opponents.)
Str 19, Dex 14, Con 17, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 12
Base Atk +1; CMB +5 (+7 disarm with flindbar); CMD 17
Feats Power Attack
Skills Handle Animal +6, Intimidate +3, Perception +3
Languages Common, Gnoll
Gear scale mail armor, flindbar, longbow with 20 arrows
Environment warm plains or desert
Organization solitary, pair, hunting party (2-5 flinds and 1-2 hyenas), band (10-100 adults plus 50% noncombatant children, 1 sergeant of 3rd level per 20 adults, 1 leader of 4th-6th level, and 5-8 hyenas), or tribe (20-200 plus 1 sergeant of 3rd level per 20 adults, 1 or 2 lieutenants of 4th or 5th level, 1 leader of 6th-8th level, 7-12 hyenas, and 4-7 hyaenodons)
Flinds are a race closely related to gnolls. The two races share some strong similarities, and at first sight inexperienced adventurers could easily confuse the two. Flinds are much stockier than their lanky kin, much stronger and hardier, and are certainly more dangerous.
It is unknown if flinds are a subspecies of the gnoll or a genetic anomaly produced among large gnoll packs. Flinds are often found among gnoll bands acting as leaders, as their strength and relatively superior intelligence puts them above their lesser brethren.
Flind combat tactics are similar to those of gnolls. They prefer to strike from ambush, using terrain and concealment to their best advantage. They are most often seen acting in the role of leaders to gnoll bands, keeping discipline with a ruthless hand and little mercy.
Flind leaders are always fighters. Flind clerics usually worship the Demon Prince of Gnolls and can choose two of the following domains: Chaos, Evil, and Trickery. All flinds have the following racial traits
- +8 Strength, +4 Dexterity, +6 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, +4 Wisdom, +2 Charisma: Flinds are exceptional gnolls, and excel in all areas over their lesser kin.
- Darkvision: Flinds cans see in the dark out to 60 feet.
- Armor: Flinds have a +1 natural armor bonus.
- Racial Hit Dice: A flind begins with two levels of humanoid, which provide 2d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +1, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +3, Ref +0, and Will +0.
- Racial Skills: A flind’s humanoid levels give it skill rank equal to 2 x (2 + Int modifier).
- Racial Feats: A flind’s humanoid levels give it one feat.
- Automatic Languages: Gnoll. Bonus Languages: Common, Draconic, Goblin, Orc.
- Weapon Proficiency: Flinds are automatically proficient with the flindbar.
Tome of Horrors Complete, Copyright 2011, Necromancer Games, Inc., published and distributed by Frog God Games; Author Scott Greene, based on original material by J. D. Morris.