This 18-foot tall, barrel-chested giant has leathery, reddish brown skin and haunting amber eyes. The creature is tough and wiry, with the strength and texture of copper.
Speed 40 ft.
Melee Gargantuan longspear +24/+19/+14 (4d6+16, crit x3) or 2 slams +24 (2d6+11)
Ranged rock +15 (2d6+16 plus 1d6 fire)
Space 15 ft.; Reach 15 ft.
Special Attacks breath weapon, rock throwing (120 ft.), trample (2d6+16; DC 31)
Spell-like Abilities (CL 20th):
Str 32, Dex 12, Con 23, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 11
Base Atk +15; CMB +28; CMD 39
Feats Awesome Blow, Cleave, Diehard, Endurance, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Sunder, Intimidating Prowess, Iron Will, Power Attack, Vital Strike
Skills Acrobatics +14 (+18 jumping), Climb +18, Intimidate +20, Knowledge (nature) +10, Perception +18 Languages Giant, Ignan
SQ oversized weapon use
Gear Gargantuan longspear, leather armor
Three times per day, a volcano giant can exhale a cloud of warm and sulfuric gas in a 30-foot cone. Affected creatures must make a successful DC 26 Fortitude save or take a -4 circumstance penalty on attack rolls, checks and saves for 1 minute (10 rounds) due to fits of coughing and choking. The save DC is Constitution-based.
A volcano giant wields a Gargantuan two-handed longspear without penalty.
- +22 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +12 Constitution, +2 Wisdom: A volcano giant’s prowess lies almost entirely in his physical abilities, predominantly strength.
- Huge: Volcano giants are huge and take a –2 penalty to AC, –2 penalty to attack rolls, +2 bonus to Combat Maneuver Bonus and Combat Maneuver Defense, and a –8 penalty to Stealth checks. A volcano giant’s lifting and carrying limits quadruple those of Medium characters.
- Space 15ft., Reach 15ft.
- Speed: A volcano giant’s base speed is 40 feet.
- Low-light vision: Volcano giants can see twice as far as humans in conditions of dim light.
- Racial Hit Dice: A volcano giant starts with seventeen levels of giant, which provide it with 20d8 HD, a base attack bonus of +15, and base save bonuses of Fort +12, Ref +6, Will +6.
- Defensive Abilities: A volcano giant gains the rock catching defensive ability.
- Racial Skills: A volcano giant’s giant levels give it skill points equal to 20 x (2 + Int modifier). Its class skills are Acrobatics, Climb, Intimidate, Knowledge (nature), and Perception.
- Racial Feats: A volcano giant’s giant levels give it ten feats.
- AC: Tough-skinned, volcano giants gain a +18 natural AC bonus.
- Special Attacks (see left): Breath weapon, rock throwing, trample.
- Spell-like Abilities: Volcano giants can cast stone shape 1/day as a 20th level caster.
- Special Qualities (see left): fire and earth subtypes, low-light vision, oversized weapon use.
- Automatic Languages: Giant, Ignan. Volcano giants with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following languages: Draconic, Goblin, Terran, Orc.
Environment warm mountains
Organization solitary, gang (2–5) or band (6–9 plus 35% noncombatants plus 1 adept or cleric of 1st or 2nd level), hunting/raiding party (6–9 plus 1 adept or sorcerer of 3–5th level plus 3–8 fire lizards); or tribe (21–30 plus 1 adept, cleric, or sorcerer of 6th or 7th level plus 12–30 fire lizards)
Volcano giants make their homes in the many twisting caves and subterranean rooms of volcanic cones, enlarging and reinforcing them for comfort and convenience.
Clothing for a volcano giant usually consists of little more than a simple wrap of fire lizard skin. A volcano giant wears ornaments made of bone, shell, and obsidian, and their general culture and society is similar to that of humanoid civilizations on tropical islands. Such island societies often get along well with local tribes of volcano giants, engaging in trade and peacefully coexisting. Should a tribe of volcano giants form an allegiance with a human tribe, the giants warn the humans of possible eruptions of their volcano to allow them time to escape the destruction.
Although volcano giants can be described as good-natured and peaceful people, their demeanor can change quickly. At a real or imagined affront, a volcano giant can erupt with a passion that is rivaled only by the fire and fury of the volcano in which it lives. Volcano giants feel that their shadow is actually their soul, and do not tolerate any creature that dares to trod upon it.
Volcano giants usually use Gargantuan longspears in combat. They are fierce and brave warriors, not backing down from any adversary. Many choose to open combat with their breath weapon so as to soften up their foes before attacking.
Volcano Giant from the Tome of Horrors Complete, Copyright 2011, Necromancer Games, Inc., published and distributed by Frog God Games; Authors Scott Greene, Casey Christofferson, and Erica Balsley.