This giant resembles a 9-foot tall humanoid with soot-colored skin, dark eyes, and dark hair. It is dressed in dirty, soot-covered clothes, and its hands are caked with dirt and filth
Speed 40 ft.
Melee heavy mace +12/+7 (2d6+6), 2 slams +11 (1d8+6)
Ranged rock +9 (1d8+9 plus 1d6 fire)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft.
Special Attacks heated rock, rock throwing (120 ft.)
Spell-like Abilities (CL 9th):
3/day—smoke (as fog cloud)
Str 22, Dex 16, Con 19, Int 8, Wis 11, Cha 12
Base Atk +6; CMB +13; CMD 26
Feats Combat Reflexes, Iron Will, Martial Weapon Proficiency (heavy mace), Power Attack, Weapon Focus (heavy mace)
Skills Fly +9, Intimidate +6, Perception +9, Stealth +3 (+11 in areas of fog or smoke); Racial Modifiers +8 Stealth in areas of fog or smoke
SQ smoke form
Gear heavy mace
Smoke giants transfer the heat of their bodies to rocks as part of an attack action when they throw rocks. A heated rock deals 1d6 points of additional fire damage on a hit.
A smoke giant’s form is solid. As a free action it can change to a smoky form. It can switch forms once per round as a free action and can spend up to 20 rounds per day in smoke form. In smoke form, a smoke giant can fly at a speed of 50 feet (perfect). This ability is otherwise similar to a gaseous form spell (caster level 9th).
Smoke giants must possess nine levels of giant Hit Dice before taking class levels. Smoke giants are usually barbarians. Their reputation as thieves and murderers comes from their savagery in combat and their preference to use brute force rather than stealth to accomplish their goals. Leaders are barbarians and shamans are adepts or clerics with access to two of the following domains: Air, Fire, Strength. Smoke giant characters possess the following racial traits.
- +12 Strength, +6 Dexterity, +8 Constitution, –2 Intelligence, +2 Charisma: Smoke giants are strong and hardy and possess a forceful personality.
- Large size: Smoke giants are Large and have the following adjustments: –1 penalty to Armor Class, –1 penalty on attack rolls, –4 penalty on Stealth checks, +1 bonus on CMB/CMD, lifting and carrying limits double those of Medium characters.
- Space/Reach: 10 feet/10 feet.
- Fast: A smoke giant’s base speed is 40 feet.
- Darkvision: A smoke giant can see in the dark up to 60 feet.
- Low-light vision: Smoke giants can see twice as far as humans in conditions of dim light.
- Racial Hit Dice: A smoke giant begins with nine levels of humanoid (giant), which provides it with 9d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +6, and base saving throws of Fort +6, Ref +2, and Will +2.
- Racial Skills: A smoke giant’s giant levels give it skill points equal to 9 x (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1). Smoke giants add Intimidate and Perception to their list of class skills. In areas of fog or smoke, a smoke giant gets a +8 racial bonus on Stealth checks.
- Racial Feats: A smoke giant’s giant levels give it five feats.
- AC: Smoke giants have a +6 natural armor bonus
- Natural Weapons: Smoke giants can fight with two slams (1d8)
- Special Attacks: Heated rock (sea left), rock throwing
- Spell-Like Abilities: A smoke giant can cast smoke (as fog cloud) three times per day, using his levels in humanoid as his caster level.
- Special Qualities: Immunity to fire, rock catching, smoke form (see left).
- Languages: Smoke giants begin play speaking Giant. Smoke giants with high Intelligence can choose bonus languages from the following list: Common, Auran, Goblin, Ignan, Orc.
Environment Plane of Molten Skies
Organization solitary, gang (2–5), band (6–9 plus 25% noncombatants), hunting party (6–9 plus 1 leader of 3rd level), or tribe (20–40 plus 25% noncombatants, 1 shaman of 4th level or higher, and 1 leader of 6th level or higher)
Smoke giants are evil giants known for their ruthlessness. Among other races they have a nasty reputation for being thieves and murderers, even killing their own kind if the end result serves the betterment of the one doing the killing. They are generally reclusive creatures, keeping to their own devices and rarely having anything to do with outside races, which suit the other races just fine as most don’t trust smoke giants at all.
Smoke giants encountered away from their tribe are usually members of a hunting or raiding party. While they are generally able to consume just about anything they can catch and kill, smoke giants prefer the flesh of smoke mephits above anything else. Regardless of what they eat, a smoke giant always covers its food in a thick layer of soot before consuming it (it tastes better that way). Prey that is captured but not slaughtered is stored in large soot-filled pits until ready to be devoured.
Smoke giants do not engage in trade with other races. They sometimes form alliances with other tribes of giants (usually ogres or trolls), but most such alliances are short-lived because of the general distrust of smoke giants. Alliances even between tribes of smoke giants are rare.
A smoke giant stands about 9 feet tall and weighs about 800 pounds.
Smoke giants begin combat by hurling rocks in an effort to scatter their opponents. After this, the giants rush into battle swinging their huge maces. A favorite tactic employed by some smoke giant bands is to have one or two of them envelop their opponents in smoke (using their smoke spell-like ability) while the rest pummel them with their weapons.
Smoke giants encountered near the Tempest of Embers on the Plane of Molten Skies like to grab their foes and toss them into that cyclone of burning air.
Smoke Giant from the Tome of Horrors Complete, Copyright 2011, Necromancer Games, Inc., published and distributed by Frog God Games; Author Scott Greene.