This massive giant has hideously primitive features and gray blotchy flesh. Unkempt, it wears nothing but filthy rags and carries a tremendous greatclub and its eyes glare maliciously. Most disturbing, its protruding tusk-like teeth hang over its swollen lips causing a steady stream of drool.
CAVE GIANT CR 9
Speed 30 ft.
Melee Gargantuan greatclub +16/+11 (3d6+12) or 2 slams +15 (2d6+8 plus grab)
Ranged rock +9 (2d6+12)
Space 15 ft.; Reach 15 ft.
Special Attacks rock throwing (100 ft.), pound, trample (2d6+12, DC 20)
Str 26, Dex 12, Con 23, Int 5, Wis 11, Cha 10
Base Atk +9; CMB +19 (+23 grapple); CMD 30
Feats Diehard, Endurance, Iron Will, Martial Weapon Proficiency (greatclub), Power Attack, Weapon Focus (greatclub)
Skills Climb +15, Perception +7, Survival +7
SQ oversized weapon use
Gear Gargantuan greatclub
A cave giant that successfully grabs a foe two or more sizes smaller than itself can smash the opponent into the ground, walls, nearby trees, or other solid objects as a standard action. This deals 2d6+12 points of bludgeoning damage to the victim. In addition, the opponent must make a successful DC 24 Fortitude save or be stunned for one round. A cave giant can perform this action once per round as long as it maintains the grapple. The save DC is Strength-based.
A cave giant wields a Gargantuan greatclub without penalty.
Cave giants are dumb, indestructible brutes of primitive intelligence and reasoning and make excellent barbarians.
- +16 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +12 Constitution, –6 Intelligence.
- Huge: Cave giants are Huge and take a –2 penalty to AC, –2 penalty to attack rolls, +2 bonus to Combat Maneuver Bonus and Combat Maneuver Defense, and a –8 penalty to Stealth checks. A cave giant’s lifting and carrying limits quadruple those of Medium characters.
- Space 15 ft., Reach 15 ft.
- Low-light vision: Cave giants can see twice as far as humans in conditions of dim light.
- Racial Hit Dice: A cave giant begins with twelve levels of giant, which provide 12d8 HD, a base attack bonus of +9, and base save bonuses of Fort +8, Ref +4, Will +4.
- Racial Skills: A cave giant’s humanoid levels give it skill ranks equal to 12 x (2 + Int modifier).
- Racial Feats: A cave giant’s humanoid levels give it 5 feats.
- AC: +10 natural armor bonus.
- Natural Weapons: Cave giants can fight with 2 unarmed strikes that deal lethal damage (2d6+8).
- Special Attacks: grab, pound, rock throwing (100 ft.), trample.
- Special Qualities: Cave giants can use weapons one size greater as described in the over-sized weapon use description at left, rock catching.
- Languages: Cave giants begin play speaking Giant, and can also speak Common if they have an Intelligence of at least 10. Cave giants with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following languages: Gnoll, Goblin, Orc.
Environment any hills or mountains
Organization gang (2-5) or clan (6-9 adults plus 35% noncombatants)
Treasure half standard
Dumber, stronger cousins of hill giants, cave giants live in small communal bands of no more than twelve individuals, with a single male leader that is usually stronger and certainly meaner than all others. They often take up residence in large hill or mountain caves, foraging for food such as mountain goats, bears, and wayward explorers. Extremely primitive and simple-minded, cave giants have no real concept of fire or creature comforts, so they eat their food raw. Cave giants are not rock-throwers like many of their brethren, but they are quite skilled at combat with their huge greatclubs. They take great glee in pounding humans into paste, and then eating the paste.
Cave Giant from the Tome of Horrors Complete, Copyright 2011, Necromancer Games, Inc., published and distributed by Frog God Games; Authors Scott Greene and Erica Balsey.