This humanoid stands just over 3 feet tall and has white hair, glossy white skin and deep blue eyes. Its beard is long and flowing and appears to be made of icicles. Its feet are large and flat.
Ice Gnome (Barbegazi)
Str 10, Dex 13, Con 13, Int 11, Wis 11, Cha 8
Base Atk +1; CMB +0; CMD 11
Feats Weapon Finesse
Skills Craft (trapmaking) +7, Handle Animal +3, Stealth +12 (+15 in native environment), Survival +7; Racial Modifiers +3 Craft (trapmaking) and Survival, +3 Stealth or +6 Stealth in their native environment
Languages Common, Barbegazi
Because of its oversized flat feet, a barbegazi can walk on top of deep snow and suffers no penalties when moving through snowy or icy terrain.
Environment cold hills and mountains
Organization solitary, hunting party (2–5 and 1 winter wolf), band (20–50 plus 50% noncombatants plus 1 3rd-level sergeant per 20 adults and 1 leader of 4th–6th level and 2–4 winter wolves), or clan (50–100 plus 50% noncombatants plus 1 3rd-level sergeant per 20 adults, 1–2 lieutenants of 4th–5th level, 1 leader of 6th–8th level, and 5–7 winter wolves)
Treasure standard (short sword, 3 daggers, other treasure)
Barbegazis are often referred to as snow or ice gnomes, a name they do not appreciate. They inhabit frigid hills and mountains where they spend their time engaging in activities they enjoy: hunting, fishing, and wrestling. Barbegazi homes are constructed of large blocks of ice and stone and are often built into the sides of hills and mountains or are in fact part of the mountain itself. Their homes are frequently targeted by white dragons (who consider their flesh a delicacy).
A barbegazi prefers to avoid combat, using misdirection and deception (including well-placed traps and pitfalls) whenever possible to mislead and detour potential opponents. If a barbegazi knows an enemy is coming, it will most certainly have several traps and snares in place by the time the enemy arrives. If a barbegazi engages an opponent, it usually opens combat with its icicle blast before moving to attack with its short sword. A barbegazi is not stupid and will not risk its life in battle (unless it is defending its clan). If forced to flee, a barbegazi burrows into the snow and attempts to escape. Barbegazis stand about 3 and a half feet tall and weigh 45 pounds on average.
A barbegazi clan is led by the eldest male. Females play a lesser role than males in barbegazi society, though many are as capable (or more) than many of the males in the clan. Young barbegazi are trained from a young age in the art of combat and survival.
Aside from white dragons, barbegazis have tolerable relations with most cold-dwelling races and often initiate trade with frost giant clans. Typical goods traded by a barbegazi clan are furs and meat. They do not associate or particularly care for frost men.
- +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, –2 Charisma.
- Low-light Vision.
- Racial Hit Dice: A barbegazi begins with two levels of humanoid, which provide 2d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +1, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +3, Ref +0, and Will +0.
- Racial Skills: A barbegazi’s humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 2 x (2 + Int modifier). Racial skills for barbegazi are Climb, Craft (any), Handle Animal, Heal, Profession, Ride, Stealth, and Survival. They receive a +3 racial bonus on Craft (trapmaking) and Survival checks, and a +3 racial bonus on Stealth checks that increases to +6 in their natural environment.
- Cold Subtype: This gives barbezagi immunity to cold and vulnerability to fire.
- Racial Feats: A barbegazi’s humanoid levels give it one feat.
- AC: +2 natural armor bonus.
- Speed: Barbezagi have a base land speed and burrow speed of 20 ft. They can burrow through snow at normal burrow speed, or through solid ice at half speed.
- Spell-like Abilities: See above. The save DCs are Charisma-based, and barbegazi receive a +2 racial bonus on the save DCs of their racial spell-like abilities.
- Special Qualities: Snow move (see above)
- Languages: Barbegazis begin play speaking Common and Barbegazi. Barbegazi with high intelligence scores can choose from any of these bonus languages: Draconic, Dwarven, Giant, Gnome.
Barbegazi from the Tome of Horrors Complete, Copyright 2011, Necromancer Games, Inc., published and distributed by Frog God Games; Author Scott Green.