Coiled blades are mighty vanguards, leaping into battle and growing strong on the ebb and flow of violence. Regardless of their broader motivations, coiled blades revel in the thrill of combat, only truly coming alive when their life is on the line and their skills can be put to the test.
Coiled blades are expert warriors who train in a variety of martial traditions. At 1st level, the coiled blade gains a martial tradition as long as he has not gained one from another source.
Combat Training (Ex)
A coiled blade is considered an Expert practitioner, gaining spheres and talents as appropriate. Coiled blades choose whether to use Charisma, Intelligence, or Wisdom as their practitioner modifier when they first gain the combat training class feature.
This replaces the bonus feats gained at 1st, 4th, 8th, 12, 16th, and 20th level.
Coiled Might (Ex)
Starting at 3rd level, the coiled blade gains tension, as the striker class feature, with the following modifications:
- Offensive Pressure: Whenever the coiled blade successfully damages a creature with a weapon from one of his weapon training groups, he gains 1 tension.
The coiled blade’s tension goes up or down throughout the day, but usually cannot go higher than his practitioner modifier (minimum 1), though some feats, abilities, and magic items may affect this maximum. At 4th level and every three levels afterward, his maximum tension increases by 1. This works in all other ways as the striker’s tension class feature, including gaining the defensive determination and maneuvering momentum tension building options.
From 3rd level on, the coiled blade gains access to the following tension techniques, as the striker class feature:
- Expert Guard: For each tension a coiled blade spends on this tension technique, he gains a +1 circumstance bonus on all saves until the beginning of his next turn.
- Light Step: The coiled blade spends a swift action and selects a single creature; all movement he makes until the beginning of his next turn does not provoke attacks of opportunity from that creature.
- Stalwart Form: For each tension a coiled blade spends on this tension technique, he gains DR 1/- until the beginning of his next turn; this damage reduction stacks with similar damage reduction.
- Timely Dodge: For each tension a coiled blade spends on this tension technique, he gains a +1 dodge bonus his armor class until the beginning of his next turn.
- Perfect Offensive: The coiled blade automatically confirms a critical threat made with a weapon from one of his weapon training groups.
- Quick Strike: The coiled blade may make an attack as a swift action, though he takes a -2 penalty on the attack roll and treats the attack as an off-hand attack (adding only half his Strength bonus to the damage dealt, and reducing the bonus damage from Power Attack and similar abilities by 50%.)
- Swift Focus: The coiled blade spends a swift action to regain martial focus.
- Second Chance: The coiled blade can reroll a saving throw after the result has been revealed, although he must accept the result of the reroll, even if it is worse.
- Speed Step: The coiled blade can spend a swift action to move up to his speed with any movement mode he possesses.
- Full Strike: The coiled blade may make an attack with any weapon he is wielding as a swift action.
This replaces the armor training class feature.
Spheres of Might, © 2017, Drop Dead Studios LLC; Authors: Adam Meyers, Michael Sayre, Andrew Stoeckle, N. Jolly