Class templates are similar to archetypes. They modify existing base classes in order to allow them to better fulfill new roles. However, class templates can be applied to multiple classes, unlike the more exclusive archetypes. A class template follows the same rules as archetypes for determining whether or not they are compatible with other archetypes or class templates.
- Bushi: A noble warrior dedicated to the code of Bushido. Specialists in the art of Iaijutsu, the bushi is a class template for the stalker, warder and warlord classes.
- Hussar: A mounted warrior that leads allies from atop his noble steed and guides the battle through the use of special formations. The hussar is a class template for the warlord and warder classes.
- Polymath: The polymath is an expert in many fields. Combining both maneuvers and extracts, they are capable of filling many roles. The polymath is a class template for the alchemist and investigator classes.
- Privateer: A daring and dangerous pirate captain, the privateer brings the sword and pistol style to life through the use of their Ploys, and can turn any crew into master sailors. The privateer is a class template for the stalker and warlord classes.
- Warpath Follower: The warpath follower is a dedicated warrior empowered by their deity. Granted insight and instinct in the use of martial maneuvers, they combine this power with the magic of their faith. The warpath follower is a class template for the inquisitor and warpriest classes.
A class template is similar to an archetype, but is broader in scope and can be applied to multiple different classes to change their abilities to more closely fit a theme that the player might wish to achieve. For example, instead of having a “Samurai Leader” archetype for the warlord, a “Samurai Guardian” archetype for the warder, and a “Samurai Killer” archetype for the stalker, we instead of a single class template that can be applied to all three classes to represent different aspects of the samurai’s culture and ethos, the bushi.
While class templates function mostly the same as archetypes, because they apply to multiple classes, they are laid out differently. At the start of each class template is a list of the classes it can be applied to and the class features they lose or alter. After that, the class template details its new class features, and what level they are gained at. Similarly to archetypes, class templates cannot be applied to a class if they have already traded away the same ability.
Path of War – Expanded, © 2016, Dreamscarred Press.