An everyman is a character drawn to different walks of life at different times. Often a vagrant or day worker, the everyman can display amazing abilities in any field, only to forego those abilities and appear in another role in the next adventure.
Everyman Spirit (Ex)
With a week of intense work and study, the everyman can manifest a legend, as the medium ability. The everyman embodies this legend until he starts to spend time to change legend again.
An everyman does not hold seances, instead he can affect all allies within 30 ft. as if they had participated in a seance. A legend inspiring the everyman gains no influence over him, and the everyman does not suffer from any influence penalty (see quirk pool below for a possible exception). An everyman cannot use a legend at less than maximum power.
Except as noted, this is the same as the medium’s spirit ability and a modification of that ability.
The one week period to change legends is not a strict limit and is not intended to force the everyman to make an uninformed choice of legend or force him to play in the week between legends. The intention is that the everyman should be able to change legends between adventures and be able to pick a legend that seems suitable to the current story and party. It is usually best to let the everyman make this decision during or after each adventure’s introduction.
Exceptional Abilities (Ex)
Quirk Pool (Ex)
At 1st level, the everyman gains a quirk pool with a number of quirk points equal to his Charisma modifier. Whenever a medium’s spirit would gain influence over him, the everyman instead spends a point of quirk pool until the pool runs out; then the everyman can’t use such abilities any more. The quirk pool recharges once per day when the everyman regains spell slots.
Team Spirit (Ex)
At 2nd level the everyman becomes extra capable when others help him. Increase the bonus the everyman receives when another character uses the Aid Another action to help him by 2. This normally results in a +4 bonus, but other abilities that improve aid other stacks with this ability. The everyman only gains this bonus for the first person assisting him. If additional people use the aid other action to help him with the same task, they only give the normal bonus.
This replaces shared seance.
When his quirk pool recharges, the everyman can choose to accept either a taboo or an influence penalty from the legend he is embodying. Doing so increases his quirk pool by one point. Breaking this limitation costs him two points from his quirk pool each time.
This replaces taboo.
Minor Spirit Power (Ex)
At 3rd level, the everyman gains an additional ability, depending in the legend he is embodying. He uses his everyman level as his effective level in the class that gives the ability.
- Archmage: For each level of spell the everyman can cast, he selects two additional spells of that level from the sorcerer/wizard spell list to add to his spell list.
- Champion: Gain the barbarian’s fast movement ability.
- Guardian: Gain the Fighter’s armor training ability.
- Hierophant: For each level of spell the everyman can cast, he selects two additional spells of that level from the cleric/oracle spell list to add to his spell list.
- Marshal: Gain the following cavalier abilities at the indicated levels: tactician (3rd), greater tactician (9th), master tactician (17th).
- Trickster: Gain the rogue’s trapfinding and uncanny dodge abilities.
This replaces haunt channeler.
Spirited Skills (Ex)
At 5th level, the everyman selects any two skills when he chooses a legend with everyman spirit. That skill counts as a class skill, and he is treated as if he had an additional number of ranks in this skill equal to half his everyman level (to a maximum of his character level). At 18th level the everyman gains a total of six skills this way.
This replaces location channel and spacious soul.
Spirited Insight (Ex)
At 7th level the everyman gains insight into two fields of study when he chooses a legend with everyman spirit. These skills count as class skills, and he is treated as if he had an additional number of ranks in each skill equal to half his everyman level (to a maximum of his character level).
The following knowledge skills are tied to each legend:
- Archmage: Knowledge (arcana, planes).
- Champion: Knowledge (history, nature).
- Guardian: Knowledge (engineering, nobility).
- Hierophant: Knowledge (religion, planes).
- Marshal: Knowledge (local, nobility).
- Trickster: Knowledge (dungeoneering, local).
Spirited insight replaces connection channel.
At 9th level the everyman can spend two hours doing nothing but practicing his legend to recover one point of quirk pool. He can use habitude repeatedly. At 14th level, he recovers one point of quirk pool each hour. At 19th level, he recovers one point every 10 minutes.
This replaces propitiation, astral journey, and spirit mastery.
Superior Spirit Power (Ex)
At 13th level the everyman gains an additional ability, depending on the legend he is embodying. He uses his everyman level as his effective level in the class that gives the ability.
- Archmage: Select one arcane discovery you fulfill the prerequisites for, as the wizard class feature.
- Champion: Gain the use of two combat feats you fulfill the prerequisites for.
- Guardian: Add your spirit bonus to all saving throws.
- Hierophant: You gain the cleric’s channel energy ability, with a number of daily uses equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum 1).
- Marshal: Gain the cavalier’s greater banner ability.
- Trickster: Gain the rogue’s evasion and improved uncanny dodge abilities.
This replaces ask the spirits.
Spirit of the Universe (Ex)
At 20th level, an everyman becomes able to fill any and all roles. He adds 5 points in his quirk pool. As a free action, he can channel spirits of any of the five legends he did not choose with everyman spirit. This ability lasts for 1 round and grants access to the intermediate, greater, and supreme spirit powers of the chosen spirits.
This replaces astral beacon.
Shibaten of Porphyra © 2016, Purple Duck Games; Author Carl Cramér.